||23.||

[A/N:In one of previous chapters, I wrote Haytham's half brother "Haider". However in this chapter I changed it to Shahryar.]

•||Chapter 23: Overreacting ||•

|| A N M O L ||

A strange prickling silence was echoing all around the desolated graveyard as I put a foot on the other side of the metal gate and gazed around the cold place. No one was in the view other than the rows and rows of graves. Some had trees providing them shades, some had grass on them, some were well taken care of and some were left rotten. It was like no one ever existed in this world or the ones who existed had left.

A cold gust of breeze blew, making me shiver and pulling my shawl around my body tightly. I took a deep breath as a layer of fog appeared around me while I walked deeper and deeper until I reached near the graves of three important people in my life. Three important people who left without a single goodbye.

My feet halted when I saw someone was already present in front of their graves and staring at them silently and motionlessly. Even hearing the sound of my footsteps, that person didn't flinch. I took a shaky breath and approached the graves, standing beside the rigid person.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, staring at the slates of those three graves.

A loving daughter, wife, and mother.
Mrs. Durdana Shah.

A loyal son, husband and father.
Mrs. Aafaan Shah.

A caring daughter, wife, mother, nano and dadu.
Mrs. Fatima Shah.

There was also my dada jaan's grave beside dadu with the date of his death under his name. They all were under the spell of eternal sleep from which they wouldn't wake up ever until the judgment's day.

"Seeing what they got after living their life according to norms," Laraib answered my question as I kneeled in front of my dadu's grave to remove shattered leaves.

"They got what everyone has to get. Living according to norms or not. Isn't death everyone's destiny?" I asked her back, sitting on the cold soil without moving my eyes away from dadu's grave.

Instead of answering me, she chuckled sarcastically as the sound of her footsteps moved away from me. She kept a distance between us as I greeted the late members of my family.

"I am left alone now, dadu," I whispered, spreading the rose petals on her grave evenly.

"I want to cry, scream, yell, blame everyone. I really want to, dadu. But what's the use when there's no one to listen and wipe my tears?" My voice quivered with pain as I told her what I had been feeling.

"You know everything about him, dadu. Then why? Why did you let me fall for him? Why? Why him?"

My body shook with anger and pain as my heart grieved for the love and my body itched for her to embrace me. I wanted her to come out of her grave and wrapped her arms around me, held me tightly and made me feel better even for a second.