||25.||

•||Chapter 25: Holding on Something||

|| A N M O L ||

How long had I been away from the public's view?

A month?

Or was it two months?

I took a deep breath as I stepped inside the hall where the charity event was held. I squeezed out a soft smile, standing at the valet as I handed her my invitation card while greeting the other coming guests beside me.

I was a little late and the event had already begun. I could hear the sounds of music and songs coming from inside.

"Here is your seat's number, ma'am," She handed me a small card of my seat number that had my name written on it too.

I thanked her then went inside to the main hall towards my seat but froze when I saw the seating arrangements at my table. My breath was stagnant as I watched the scenes unfold in front of me while the Qawal on the stage was singing.

I moved my eyes and ignored them, even in a soft dim light I could recognize their silhouette. My gaze fell on the table where our name card was placed in shining neon color, visible even in the dim light.

"Sit here," Saad told Saba, pulling the seat for her that was meant for him.

He, himself sat on her seat that was beside Faisal's. And my seat... it was on the other side of Faisal. Silently I sat on my seat but became stiff as my leg brushed against his knee.

For a brief second our eyes met as the famous Qawal was singing in the background.

"Kya mila hai mohabbat ke bazaar se
Aaj phirte ho dil ko nakad haar ke"

My heart wavered as I took in his unkempt appearance. His beard and hair. The trace of tiredness in his eyes. I looked away from him quickly before I couldn't take this pain anymore. I turned my eyes to the stage and sat stiffly but my mind wasn't here. It kept going back to the memories we shared and all the emails he had been sending me everyday.

He had been appearing at my door every night but left without meeting and dropping a small wooden sculpture. I thought I could find solace in being away from him but every night he had been appearing in my dreams, giving me hopes and love.

"Jab kaha tha mohabbat gunah to nahi
Phir gunah ke bara bar saza kyun mili"

I pinched my knee under the table as I tried to keep my distance from him and anything associated with him. I didn't want to affect my mood today. I didn't want to remember him and all his lies.

I shouldn't have come to this charity event. I should have known better since it was arranged by Mrs. Ayesha Khan. She would do anything to mess with people for the sake of gossip and more tea.