That was then, This is now

I got changed into my dress and made my way out of my room. "Someones all dressed up." Steve said and we all laughed. I guess they were just in a good mood. It wasn't really funny.

I told Darry that I was going to a party with my friends and he seemed to let that slide. This job really made him think I was responsible. Really everything was just built on a web of lies. 

I walked out and followed the directions Duncan gave me to the fancy diner place. It was on the soc side of town. I decided to suck it up and go.

As I was walking there I remembered when I and Dally walked there. Oh I mean me and Dallas Winston. My bad. *eyeroll*

I saw Duncan waiting out the door. "Hi y/n...You look nice! Don't worry. I made sure all randy's friends were busy today and they wouldn't bother us." 

Duncan was kind. He was different from all the other socs. I did like him. But I wasn't sure if I liked him. He interlocked our arms as he walked me into the dinner place. We found a seat and Oh My Goodness, it was much different than the places i'm used to. There were chandeliers and gold silverware. The places I ate at didn't even have regular silverware. You just eat with your hands. I felt so out of place. All the soc girls were staring at me. I wanted to vomit. I wanted to run out of there. "You okay y/n?"

"Um I don't know. Maybe this isn't for me."

"Oh. That's okay. We don't have to eat here..."

"I know but it's not just the fancy dinner place. It's the whole soc lifestyle. I don't know if I should date a soc Duncan. I like ya. I really do. But I think I need to stop chasing boys that I like. I need to find a boy who I love."

"Y/n. I feel the exact same way. I really think you're a good friend but I realized that things just didn't feel right once we were officially dating. Besides. I bumped someone this morning and I think I felt something with her. It was different."

"Different. Like something you can't explain. Something that makes no sense but it just feels...right."

"Yeah y/n. Just like that. I think you've got somewhere to be now. Don't you?" I wasn't sure where I needed to be, but it wasn't here. I was a greaser. My friends were greasers. I needed my friends.

~

I said bye to Duncan then left the restaurant. I ran out of soc territory and I went as fast as I could back to my house. It was only 7:40 when I arrived home. I only spent a few minutes with Duncan.  

"Home early y/n?" Darry said. "Oh um yeah. Where's ponyboy?"

"In his room I think."

"Alright. Thanks Darry." I said while walking to Pony's room. I knocked on the door. "Soda?" pony asked. "Um no it's y/n." 

"oh. um come in a guess. Do you need something?"

"Pony I broke up with duncan. I really didn't mean to make ya worry. But it's no different than you liking that cherry girl."

"Y-you broke up with him cuz of me? I didn't mean it like that. Sorry y/n I was just mad because he tried to hurt you and me. I don't like cherry anyways." 

"It wasn't just because of you. Well. I'm a greaser and I'm done with socs for a little while. Let's stop fighting pony. I don't want us to end up hating each other."

"I could never hate my own sister. So....about what two bit said earlier...You and Dallas huh y/n?"

"No." was all I could say as I thought about me and Dallas fighting earlier. I remembered kissing him and running into the woods. All I could think about is the look in his eyes before I left. I don't know what I would even say to him.

I walked out of Pony's room and let him continue studying for his test. The gang was in the living room accept Dally. "Where's Dally?"

"Oh um I saw him on his way to bucks earlier. He was walking there fast though. Looked busy." Johnnycakes said. Maybe he was going to a party. I should talk to him. "Okay um...I'm gonna go to bucks then Darry."

"Why...you're not with dally are you?" Darry said.

"No. I just need to talk to him."

"I'm not sure that's a good idea." said Johnny.

"Why johnny..." I asked.

"Well it just looked like he wanted to be alone." johnny said quietly. Maybe Johnny knew something I didn't but I was going anyway. He can be a big boy and talk about his feelings. I grabbed Dally's leather jacket and left. They just watched me walk out. As I walked out I tried to remember my way to bucks. I had been there a few times now so I had the route down. When I came across the building there were red lights and it looked like a party was going on. I knocked on the door.

"Oh hey y/n! Here for a little partying?" Buck asked as he opened the door and let me in.

"Yeah. Sure. Is dal here?" 

"Um yeah. I think he's playing pool in there." Buck said while pointing to the room me and Dallas played pool in at his last party.

I started walking over to the room and I opened the door. I saw dally and some other greaser guys talking in the corner. They weren't in a game or anything but it didn't seem like the right time. He looked up and we made eye contact for a second before he went back to talking to the guys. I decided to leave and try and talk later. As I was heading for the door Buck stopped me. "Hey why don't you hang around. You can have fun at a party without Dally you know." Buck said with a chuckle.

"why not." 

 I got a beer at the bar and then a guy sat next to me. I didn't look up. I didn't want to. "Y/n, don't drink too much. Darry will kill you if he finds out." It was Dallas. "I was only plannin on one Dallas Winston." 

"That's what they all say."

"Hey Dal, I came here to talk to you. I really wasn't cheating on Steve you know."

"Yeah. I know. I was just pissed at you in the moment."

"Cause I was dating a boy that wasn't a greaser?"

"No. Cause you were dating a boy that wasn't me. You were just different than all the broads and party girls. I was gonna tell you but you said you were just drunk and you were sorry about all of it. You can't tell me you didn't feel something when we kissed. When you kissed me and then told me about him, it hurt."

"Of course I felt something. That's why I broke up with Duncan and came here. It hurt when you called me a hoe and accused me of cheating on Steve you know. But god. I can't get you out of my head."

"You broke up with Duncan?"

"Yeah. I'm not mean't to be like a soc anyway."

"Y/n, will ya be my girl?"

"I-"

Sorry for making this such a short chapter and leaving yall on a cliffhanger. I'm a bit busy lol. How long should I make this story?