15. Irene.

Assalamu alaikum. It's been a month since I started SBM on Wattpad and the love it got is beautiful. Jazakallahu Khair for your support. Keep reading and let me know of your observations.
💕💕

Safiyya was amazed by the group's presentation. Each had a unique idea and even if a few clashed, it was still different. Lex was hiding his smile as he went through their work. Time went by but they weren't bored because they were a group of enthusiastic youths of accounting. 

"No 23, " Lex called out and Safiyya walked upstage with a faint smile. She can feel their piercing gaze on her and at the moment, the best she can do is lift her religion and hijab before them.

She connected to the screen and it showcased her well-arranged documents before she started her presentation. Lex watched intently as she spoke calmly and sometimes rushed, which made it more interesting. He knows what he set for the last slot and the way she passed made him impressed.

The department needs such talent.

Her work today was arranged with risky calculations that made him inquisitive but in the end, everything ended up well.

"Can you explain the loss you ended with?" Lex asked her.

Safiyya slipped her palms into her pockets and answered, "The budget given out was enough for the years and the monthly costs had no losses but at the final year deductions, 10% of the fund was lost. It's not from the products used in the assignment but definitely from an external source."

"An external source you say?" Lex hummed. "I did say that you can't alter the prices."

"But didn't mention that an external factor can affect the sales." Safiyya smiled knowingly. "It's something I realized from the dates. Am I right?" From the smile Lex gave, she was sure she was right. There was an alteration in the dates, which means an important incident was hidden.

"Thank you, Miss Safiyya," he said and she nodded curtly before going back to her seat.

"Everyone is done and I can say that about 20 of you have a chance of passing, " Lex said and even though he didn't say all, it brought a smile to the applicants' faces.

A beep sounded and the door opened, which drew their attention. Safiyya also glanced back and soft heels clicked as a woman walked in.

The lady was in her twenties, with a neatly styled bob that reached her shoulder blade, its orange color glistening under the light. Her hazel eyes were sharp and brilliant and her orange lips held a smile. She wore a short short-sleeved blue gown that stopped just below her knees, illuminating her white skin.

"I didn't interrupt anything. Did I?" she asked, showing her pearly white teeth.

"Of course not. Miss Irene." Lex shook his head. "I wonder what made you grave us with your presence."

"Oh. Nothing serious. I'm just looking for someone," she said in her rich Italian accent.

"Wow." Lex gasped and looked at the aspirants. "You guys are lucky. The vice CEO of Hill Corp is here to see you,"

Those who didn't recognize the woman exclaimed in surprise as they arranged their bearing.

The vice CEO, Irene Fernandez. Despite being 25, her achievements were outstanding, and being the Vice CEO of Hill Corp, second only to Alfred Hill, her status was one to behold.

Safiyya remembered what she read in the news clearly and she was puzzled when Irene's gaze stopped on her.

"Young lady with the scarf. You must be Safiyya right?" she said.

Safiyya was surprised at first as to how this woman knew about her until it dawned on her who might have known it.

"Yes ma'am," she answered and stood up.

Irene scrutinized her and even with her kind gaze, Safiyya noticed something ill but brushed it off. She can't judge someone by just meeting her.

Irene nodded and turned to Lex. "It seems you have a new applicant here. Can you tell me more about her performance?"

Lex was bewildered at what was happening but still told. Safiyya even had a high chance of passing. 

Irene grinned and said, "Well that's good. I want to take her with me."

"What?" the aspirants were surprised.

"Oh?" Lex scowled slightly. "I understand that she has a good talent, but she applied to this department and it's better if she stays here."

"Come on Lex." Irene curled her lips. "If she's coming with me, it means she gets something better. Her talent will be suppressed here. Don't you think?"

"She has no working experience, " Lex insisted. 

"I know what I am doing, " Irene raised an eyebrow.

Sensing that she was getting annoyed, Lex stayed quiet. They might have been friends, but Irene can forget that anything time.

Irene hummed and turned to Safiyya who was surprised by all that was happening.
"So Miss Safiyya, you will be coming with me."

Before Safiyya could answer, a lady stood up and said, "But this is not fair!"

Irene was calm and turned to her while folding her arms. "Why is that?"

The lady held her nerves and protested, "We all went through the test for a week and she just joined today. We agreed to it but now, she just gets promoted like that?"

Irene moved her hair back and returned, "What goes on in Hill Corp and who we hire is our business. Stay in this department if you pass, but she…comes with me," she met Safiyya's gaze and added, "It's an order from the CEO."

Safiyya's eyes flashed and her heart skipped a beat. Ya Rabb, he is involved!

Soooo, some acting from the shadows.