49. Team work.

Safiyya studied the green forest curiously as they walked in steadily with Alfred. He halted and opened the map and she walked over too but the height he held the paper was beyond her sight.

"Sir Alfred, I can't see," she complained and he raised his head from the map. He narrowed his eyes at her expression before squatting down on one knee. Safiyya smiled and joined too.

The map was well defined with words written at each step of the challenge. The first one said, 'Find the mini backpack that will be used to collect the orbs after passing each stage.'

Safiyya read it out loud and followed Alfred's finger as he pointed at the places on the map. "Those two went this way, which means that they will probably pick this bag. We will go for this one,"

"The faster we get the bag, the faster we reach the first stage?" she asked excitedly but he shook his head. "Look at the map carefully. With the entwined lines on the map, the stages are not specified on which is first. So the route you take determines which stage would be first. The last stage will be the same and the finish line."

"Oh," she nodded and he glanced at her. "Do you even understand?" he asked sardonically.

"I'm a smart woman okay? I understood it before you explained," she huffed. He hummed and stared intently at the trees. She followed his gaze wondering what he was doing.

"Let's go," he stood up and started walking. Safiyya was skeptical but still followed which included jogging to keep up with his pace.

"Wait here," he told her as they approached a cluster of trees. Safiyya obediently waited as he went through behind one of the trees. A black object was thrown at her and she quickly caught it.

"Put it on," Alfred said, returning to the road.

Safiyya checked the mini bag out before strapping it on her back. She chuckled remembering the times in school.

"Stop playing and let's go," Alfred said and walked past her. She rolled her eyes and went after him. This man was just pacing fast but she had to run. They reached a clear path and after a few seconds, arrived before their first stage.

Safiyya stopped to catch her breath and gawked at the thing before them. It looked like something she once saw in a picture of an army training ground. It had a net with large holes that started from the ground, held by metal poles by the side, and a big silver triangular pillar in the middle. It probably has a similar side at the back.

"This is the red stairs. We have to cross and pick the red orb at the end," Alfred started, after checking the map. "Hurry," he looked at her briefly and went over to the base. Safiyya bit her lower lips and glanced at the height that made a sudden fear loom over her.

"Are you wasting time on purpose or scared of heights?" Alfred asked stoically after seeing her hesitation. Safiyya quickly masked her expression with a smile. "I am not. You go up first. I will be right behind you," It wasn't like she was scared of heights but she had never gone up high like this if not stairs and this thing looked dangerous.

Alfred narrowed his eyes before saying, "Don't waste time unless you want us to fail," He held a net hole with his hands and his legs held two too. She watched intently as he quickly yet carefully went up, her mouth hanging in surprise. He was fast. She didn't realize he was at the top until he stopped and frowned at her.

He's not scared standing up there? She thought before swallowing and coming before the net.

"Bismillah," she uttered and held the net tightly, feeling its strong texture. She breathed and took a few stops up carefully and was surprised by its steadiness. Knowing that it wasn't as tricky as she thought, she smiled and increased her steps. This was kind of fun.