8

CHAPTER 8 — PROMISE

Promise me, alright?

YOU'RE NOT GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP, ARE YOU?

──── ────

A year later after the Hidden Inventory mission on August of 2007, you, Geto, Gojo and Shoko were outside of Jujutsu High. Gojo told you to look closely as Geto was holding a pen while Shoko was holding an eraser. You stood on the side, observing Gojo.

"Here we go," Shoko said. She and Geto then began to throw the eraser and pen towards him.

The pen was able to be stopped whilst the eraser managed to hit him.

"Yeah, it's working. Y/N, did you see?" Gojo said proudly, catching the eraser right as it bounced off his head.

You hummed, clapping a few times for him, "Nice. You improved so much in the span of one year."

"Geh— What the heck even was that?" Shoko asked, furrowing her brows.

"Automatic selection of targets for his Jujutsu technique," you replied.

"I figured," Geto hummed.

"Yeah, what Y/N said. Though, to be precise, I'm the target for this technique," Gojo grinned, "I've automated what I used to do manually. Now, it can discern an object's danger level based on the strength of its cursed energy, its mass, it's velocity and its shape."

He held the eraser and pen together, "I'd like to get it to discern poison, too, but that's too difficult. It'll have to wait. This will allow me to keep my Limitless technique active almost perpetually with minimal resources."

"Having it perpetually active will fry your brain," Shoko mocked.

"But I can also keep running the reverse cursed technique with the energy I generate on my own. That way, I'm constantly giving it a fresh brain to work with."

As Shoko and Gojo conversed about what he should practice and get better at, you noticed Geto staring into nothing. You walked over to him and gently tapped his shoulder, snapping him out of his trance.

"Suguru," you hummed, smiling and standing beside him.

"Yeah?" He replied, smiling back softly.

"You're not getting enough sleep, are you?" You assumed, looking at his eyes and noticing his light eyebags. "Not to mention, you also lost some weight."

"It's just the summer heat. I'm fine," he reassured you, patting your shoulder.

You hummed, looking at him for a few seconds longer before turning away, "You can talk to me about anything. I'm here for you. Everyone is."

"..Yeah." He nodded. "Thank you."

You sighed, "..Suguru, you know, the brain is the one that controls the body. Whenever you think of an action that you want to do, you'll do it, like moving your arms or legs. So it's important to keep the brain healthy and take care of yourself, because if the mentality of the brain doesn't do good, then soon enough, your body will enter a... 'shut down' state, per se. You'll stop doing important things like eating, drinking and showering during that state until your mentality recovers. So, promise me to take good care of yourself, alright? I don't want to lose you."

He was silent for a few seconds, before giving you a small smile and nodding faintly, "Yeah, Y/N, but I assure you, I'm fine."

"Even if that were the case," you hummed, "you still look real tired and skinny. So, I was just letting you know. Promise me either way!"

He let out a faint chuckle, "Alright, alright. I promise."

"Swear?" You asked curiously.

He smiled, "Swear."

"Good!" You pat his back, smiling, "And, if the missions are too much for you, I can tell the higher-ups to lay off on it. I look out for my juniors, you know?"

"We're your juniors?" Geto asked, and suddenly the whole place went silent.

"What?!" Shoko and Gojo shouted, immediately running up towards you, "I thought you told us that you were on the same level as us!"

"Oh, about that..." You looked away and fiddled with your fingers, "...I might have lied. I mean, maybe now, we're pretty close in grades, but other than that..."

"Huuuuh?!" They shouted, whilst Geto was silent and just stared at you in shock.

"Wait, so, we've been calling you by your first name and being informal to you even though you were our upperclassman?" Geto asked, shocked.

"Yeah. But, don't worry! I wanted that to happen," you said proudly.

Gojo's mouth was hung open whilst Shoko just stared at you with wide eyes.

"Guys, seriously—"

"We're so sorry!" They all bowed deeply, Gojo even kneeling down.

"Guys!" You huffed, "Seriously, it's fine! I didn't want you guys to get intimidated by me, and I'm only one grade higher. I wanted to familiarize with everyone, so don't change the way you act or speak to me."

"That explains why you've always been so strong, then. It makes sense," Gojo hummed.

Geto nodded, "Yeah.. your cursed energy is insane, especially without your eyepatch."

"You saw her without her eyepatch?" Gojo asked.

"Yeah. Scary."

You sighed and smiled as Gojo and Shoko were prying and begging Geto to describe your eye.

"No fair! Y/N, are you sharing secrets with Suguru?!" Gojo asked, looking at you and crossing his arms in a childish manner.

"Nah," you chuckled, "I wouldn't hide things from any of you. Especially you, Satoru. The only time I took my eyepatch off was during the Hidden Inventory mission. That was a year ago."

"You better show me one day!" He pouted.

"Me too!" Shoko raised her hand.

"When a battle gets heated enough." You smiled, then looked at Geto, who seemed to be disassociating with reality. You tapped his arm, making him snap out of his trance and look at you.

"Suguru, don't forget the promise," you whispered to him and smiled gently.

He slowly nodded, "Yeah."

You nodded back, patting his back.

"Oh, guys, it's getting pretty dark out," you mumbled, looking at the sky that was in an orange and pink color, "I'll get going. I need to discuss a few things with a few people."

"You got it, Y/N," Gojo nodded, "let's all just get going, then."

Shoko hummed and nodded, whilst Geto just nodded tiredly. You then went back inside Jujutsu High to discuss a few things with the Grade 1 and Special Grade sorcerers.