18

CHAPTER 18 — INNATE DOMAIN

What a pain.

OH? WHERE'S THE DOOR GONE?

──── ────

A few days later, the trio got a message from Ijichi about a new mission that would take place in a detention centre. Apparently, there was one, or multiple curses that resides within. You hastily arrived to the scene with Ijichi and the rest of the Jujutsu Tech first-years.

"You're kidding, right?" Nobara grumbled, eyeing the detention centre.

"Nothing we can do about it," Megumi replied.

You let out a sigh, "Being shorthanded is quite a pain..."

"Our window verified the curse womb three hours ago," Ijichi said, "Once ninety-percent were successfully evacuated, they made the call to seal off the center. Citizens within a five hundred meter radius have been evacuated as well."

"Y/N-sensei, question," Yuji raised his hand slightly, gaining your attention, "What's a window here?"

"A window is a member of Jujutsu Tech who can see curses, though they aren't sorcerers," you explained briefly.

"I see," Yuji hummed.

"Let's continue," Ijichi resumed, "Detainee Block 2. At present, five of them remain there with the curse womb. If this curse womb is the type that metamorphoses, we predict it will become a Special Grade cursed spirit."

"Special Grade? Seriously?" You mumbled, "I suspect first-years would not be able to handle it, though, so why would you dispatch them along with me? Isn't that a bit.. Unreasonable, per se?"

"M-my apologies, Y/N-san," Ijichi stuttered, bowing to you, "We will send them back if you wish."

"Please do—"

"I'd like to stay," Megumi interrupted you, "I haven't gotten a chance to fight yet."

"I think I'm capable," Itadori said.

"Me too," Nobara chimed in.

"..Alright," you mumbled after a few seconds of thought, "Please avoid fighting under any circumstances."

They all nodded with a determined look in their eyes.

"But, hey, so.. I don't really understand what "Special Grade" means," Itadori said awkwardly, earning a sigh from Megumi and Nobara.

"I'll explain it to you in idiot terms," you gave him a smile, "So, let's say we have weapons of choice against cursed spirits. What would be conventional?"

"First, there's grade 4– a wooden bat would be sufficient. Grade 3, you could rest assured with a handgun. Grade 2, a shotgun would be a close call. Grade 1, even a tank might not be powerful enough. Now, there's Special Grade. Let's say you might be on a stable ground if you carpet bomb it with cluster bombs."

"Sounds bad!" Yuji exclaimed.

"Normally, a sorcerer on par with the curse would take on the mission," Megumi stated, "On a day like today, that'd be Gojo-sensei, or Y/N-sensei."