Chapter 5: The first meet fiasco

Irisha

I could feel it in the air since the morning. I could just feel it. There was something wrong. Or something was going to go wrong. Ugh! But no-one listens to me.

I kept telling Riya di and Rishit to go out with me but these dumbheads just didn't listen to me. Ab bhugto! (Now suffer!)

The familial chatter that both of them were so excited about instead of going to an amusement park with me took a not so unexpected turn, which it obviously had to because my lovely but no so lovely Bua ji came to visit us with a long list of suitors along with her.

Her matchmaking was really something to be proud of after three unsuccessful marriages that she made happen, her own daughter and two of the weddings were of her friends daughter.

Riya di and Rishit were too busy in enjoying themselves with pulling Suhana's leg who by the way is really a bitch and teasing Aradhya who was actually the only sweet person in the family full of snakes.

The both looked blissfully unaware of the hidden notes besides the unexpected gathering atleast until Bua took out the photographs from her bag.

Riya di, I and Rishit exchanged a look as Riya Di's excitement dulled down and I mentally facepalmed myself.

They just couldn't listen to me and for one day ditch the gathering and all the fun Rishit and I have in pulling Suhana's leg even though I was compromising today. Idiots!

"These pictures Bua?" I decide to ask gesturing at the photographs as she hands them to my parents. "Irisha bets, These are the suitors I found, they are a perfect match for your sister." She answered with a sweet smile.

As if! My sister and her matches are never gonna fit.

"Riya beta, you know the Verma's, right? Nice family, strong values," Bua begins, giving her a smile. If I didn't know any better, I might have taken it as a real one.

My mother looked really interested in the proposal, her eyes sparkling with an enthusiasm only a mother orchestrating her daughter's future can muster.

Riya di gives both me and Rishit a look, which clearly screamed, 'Just get me out of here, you two.'

My brother and I exchange a knowing glance, silently acknowledging the unspoken pact to just avoid it somehow this time too. Because I very well knew that after her it's my turn.

"Oh, the Verma's! Yeah, remember their son? The one who is always playing video games in his phone?" my brother chimes in, a playful grin betraying the gravity beneath the situation.

Is he dumb, 'Really Rishit?' I gave him a look as he shrugged his shoulders at me. Alright Isha! Shuru ho ja!

I also join the charade without thinking because if I did, I might just say something even stupid that I will say without thinking, "Video games, No way. Our family is too much into books instead."

Laughter erupts, a momentary diversion from the impending situation.

I scrunched up my eyes as Rishit and Riya di threw questioning glances at me.

I could hear their eyes screaming, 'Was this the best you could get?'

"What is the connection between the two?" Riya di softly mumbled so only us three could listen.

"Well, Mom and Badi ma always scolds us for using too much phone so I thought she wouldn't want a son-in-law like that." Rishit scratched the back of his neck as we both rolled our eyes at him but Riya di and Rishit's side eyes made me control myself.

"What you just said sounded even more stupid." They both spoke together as I narrowed my eyes at them. They really think they can come up with better ideas. Challange expected!