Chapter 26: The wedding jitters

Irisha

I dragged him to the garden without paying any heed to the voices calling our names behind us and surprisingly he let me.

"Was a stand up comedy going on in there? Is everything a joke to you?" I asked as soon as we reached near the swings.

His face had no emotion, like always. The jerk must not have even realised what he just did inside but it doesn't matter. If he thinks I am a doormat, I need to make him know the facts.

He opened his mouth, "Irisha,"

But before he could say something I cut him off, "What do you mean the marriage won't happen haan?" I practically growled at him. I could feel my eyes stinging.

No way you are crying Isha. Stay strong.

"Irisha,"

"No, today I will speak and you will listen to me." I harshly wiped my eyes with the back of my hand and glared at him.

"I know I said yes to this marriage on my own but so did you Veer," I hiccuped.

"How can you even think of backing off? How dare you? You said you will fulfill all your responsibilities. Is this how you do it?" I screamed taking a step towards him, practically screaming in his face while he just stood there like the asshole of a person he is without showing any expressions on his face.

"You know what? Let's do it. You don't want this? We won't do it." I pointed a finger at him.

I didn't even realise when did we get so close thay I was actually hitting on his chest and he made no moves to stop me, "But have you even once thought about my family? My Dad? He thought you are the right choice for me and I don't care what you do but you promised my Dad not to let him down, you jerk."

"Irisha enough, just listen to me once," I heard him say for the first time as I looked into his eyes.

"I don't want to." I gulped looking away, my fists still hitting his chest.

His jaw clenched and I knew he have had enough but the words he spoke next pierced my heart so brutally, "I clearly told you not to expect anything out of this marriage."

My lips quivered and my punches got more powerful but obviously that did nothing to his stone like chest, "You didn't tell me not to expect this marriage though. Did you?" I questioned.

"Isha enough," His tone was louder and his eyes blazing fire as he caught my hands in his.

I tried to wiggle out of his hold, tears falling from my eyes as I whispered, "Are you going to break this off?"

"You will leave me, right?"

"You will leave me right? Even my Bua said you deserve someone way better than me." I repeated, keeping my head on his chest and he let me.

"Isha," His voice was a little soft.

"I know, I know you don't want me in your life. Afterall you did tell me not to keep any expectations from you." I spoke before he could fearing his words will break my heart.

"Isha listen to,"

I interrupted him beofre he could finish his sentence, "But don't do this to me, I love," I paused, feeling his gaze fixed on me.

"I love my Dad and this will break him Veer."

"Isha, ek baar" He attempted to say once again but I has a question of my own and I wasn't ready to let him speak just yet afraid the words will do more damge than I could ever take care of, "You will leave me right? Why?"