Temptation and Trust

"Desmond, are you sure you don't want to come with me?" A smaller girl asked, tilting her head to the side. She put her basket of berries down and fixed her dress, humming softly. I shrugged and looked at the crops, picking some wheat.

"I dunno, Mira. I don't think the prince would enjoy seeing me after what happened last time.." I sighed, rubbing my eyes. Images of the event flashed through my mind. The fire. The screaming. The chaos that occurred that night was something I would never forget.

"Right yeah.. Well, that may have been a bad start. However, it never hurts to try again. Besides, you and the prince really need to try and get along. You fight like little children" Mira says with a frown. I roll my eyes and sigh.

I hated the prince and everything that had to do with the royal family in general. And to be honest the feeling was mutual. The royal family as well as the nobles didn't like me. Besides, the prince was selfish and overcome with a sense of power. Which didn't make him very likeable in my eyes.

Mira seemed to notice my distant expression because she frowned slightly, offering me some of her berries. I look at her and sigh once more before shaking my head slightly.

"No no, thank you Mira but you need those for the King and Queen's Pie." I pushed the bucket of berries away gently. Mira sighed, looking like she wanted to offer once more but decided against it.

"Okay... If you insist." Mira mumbled, fidgeting with the ruffles in her linen dress. I gave her a soft smile before looking off at the field we were surrounded by, admiring every little thing there as if seeing it for the first time.

Surrounding us were countless trees that overlapped each other, and thousands of small pebbles filled the gravel on the floor. Bushes that contained berries and flowers were planted neatly along the path.

"We must get going... if you want to make it to tonight's banquet" I state quietly, picking a few pieces of corn. "I'll wash these and bring them with us..." As soon as I said this, Mira's eyes fixed on me, and I could tell just from her eyes how excited she felt at that moment.

"Wait, you're going?" Her face lit up with excitement, unable to contain her emotions. I chuckled quietly and gave a small nod. Mira was always very expressive with her feelings, making it clear to everyone what she was thinking.

"Yeah, I guess... Why not? Hopefully, I don't cause any trouble..." I rubbed the back of my neck and held the corn close to my chest, sighing. Mira picked up her basket of berries.

"Don't worry. I'm sure you'll do fine.." Mira nudged me and smiled, nodding as we both began walking back to the village. It was quite a walk from the field to the village but the scenery was beautiful.

We walked down the path, surrounded by trees. I look over at Mira who tucked her long light brown hair behind her ear. She had a flower tucked into her hair. Her long Linen dress complimented the trees with its vibrant sage green contrast. She looked over at me and tilted her head to the side

"Yes? What is it? Do I have something on my face?" She asked, quickly rubbing her face, hoping to get the nonexistent gunk off her. I smiled at this and began laughing, shaking my head.

"No no, don't worry. I'm just looking... You look beautiful, Mira." I said with a soft tone, running a free hand through my curly hair. She paused for a moment before giving me a small smile.

"That was so cute!" She squealed, clapping her hands and I couldn't help but shake my head at her excitement. She was so full of love and energy. I could never imagine someone breaking the heart of someone so sweet and innocent.

"You are something else, you are." I looked around at all the different bushes and flowers that surrounded us. I enjoyed our walks to the field I did. It was away from the loud noisy village people.