Promise

Word Count: 1010 words

Lizzie

I wake up in a bed.

I take a deep breath, the scent of coffee and cigarettes fill my senses.

Y/n's bed.

But she's nowhere in sight. I turn and scan the room, Y/n definitely wasn't in here. I stand, finding myself to be in pajamas. Weird.

I walk downstairs, knowing Y/n's house like the back of my hand. Once I finally find her, it's in the living room, asleep, on the couch.

Do I wake her up? It would be a lie to say that I'd been in this situation before.

Hesitantly, I place a hand on her shoulder and rub gently. After a few moments, I hear a few grumbling noises of protest.

"I'm sorry I woke you, I'm just a little confused." Y/n looks up at me perplexed.

"What's the last thing you remember?"

"The diner?" I say, questioning myself. She tilts her head with a small smile.

"You must've been more tired than I thought," she muses, "don't worry, we just came here then you fell asleep so I carried you to my bed."

"I don't remember changing?" I furrow my brow, Y/n's cheeks darken and she stares at me guiltily.

"I- You were in a dress, I thought you were probably going to be uncomfortable-"

"It's fine." I shake my head.

"Still, I'm sorry, I know I should've woken you and asked or let you."

There is an awkward silence. Y/n stands a little too quickly which makes me flinch slightly. I curse under my breath for being scared.

My eyes meet Y/n's concerned ones. She slowly moves her hand to cup my face. Before her hand touches my skin, she lingers and looks at me for permission.

I nod slightly. Her hand is soft and gentle on my face; her eyes show nothing but patience and love.

"May I kiss you?" She whispers with a smile. I tuck the loose hair around her face behind her ear.

"You're too good for me." I smile, kissing her softly. She pulls away and shakes her head.

"No, you're too good for me. You're beautiful and kind and the most loving person I've ever met."

"Well you're pretty and sweet and annoyingly stubborn; you're always there for me. I want to be there for you too." At my words, Y/n thinks for a second.

"I... I have nightmares a lot. I don't know why; I've never told anyone before."  She smiles, "You're turn, tell me something that you want me to be there for about you."

I think.

"I bite my nails when I'm nervous. I-I tried to stop in high school but I guess it stuck."

Y/n smiles; her smile makes me immediately smile back.

"Y'know what? I'll be right here through everything you're going through." She looks slightly nervous and pulls something out of her coat which was hung neatly by the front door, near where we stood.

"I bought this for you after we burnt those waffles." I tilt my head and smirk at her words.

"Whose 'we'? If I remember correctly, you burnt the waffles." I tease, my smirk growing as she rolls her eyes.

"Can I continue doing my fantastic speech?" She says sarcastically. It was my turn to roll my eyes.

"As I was saying, I bought this because I knew that I made a promise to myself that no matter what, I would love you with all the love I could give. I-I broke that promise but I want to re-promise to myself and to you, if you'll let me."

Y/n opens the small box in her hands to reveal ring. A gold solitaire ring with an oval cut diamond. My eyes widen.

"Y/n it's... it's beautiful," she smiles, "but I'm sorry I'm just not ready to marry you." Her eyes widen at my words.

"No I-I don't want to marry you, I mean I d-do want to marry you but I- this-"

Shit I think I broke her.

I watch as she takes a few deep breaths and composes herself.

"It's a promise ring. I'm promising that I will always be here, whether you want me or not."

"I will always want you. And yes, I accept your promise ring." I smile, trying to focus on this moment and not how I embarrassed myself by thinking she was proposing.

She slides the ring on my finger and pulls my hand to her lips to place a soft kiss on it.

"Fuck!" She suddenly shouts making me recoil.

"Sorry pretty eyes, I didn't mean to scare you but... we forgot something."

"What?" I tilt my head and think to what it could be.

"We were supposed to be on set an hour ago." She cringes as she looks at the clock on the mantle of her fireplace. My eyes widen.

"Oh fuck me!" I slump onto the couch with my head in my hands, frustrated.

"I'd gladly-" My eyes widen further.

"Y/n!" I try to stay serious but I can't help but laugh. "What am I gonna do with you?" I say rhetorically with a smile. She shrugs.

"Since you got me a ring, I think I should get you one. How about-"

"You don't have to, pretty eyes." She gives me a warm smile.

"Nope, none of that, I'm giving you the whole thing. Date, ring, I'll even get down on one knee."

We both chuckle even when we both know I'm being completely serious.

"Why don't we call in sick?" Y/n asks, clearly not wanting to go to work today.

"Fine, but you won't stop me from getting down on one knee, that's my promise. I promise to give you a promise ring on one knee after an amazing date."

"I don't doubt you for a second, pretty eyes."

Thanks for reading!

I think this story will finish after around 22-23 chapters.

For my next story, I'm thinking

enemies to lovers with either Wanda Maximoff or Natasha Romanoff or

childhood best friends to lovers with Wanda Maximoff or Natasha Romanoff.

You guys can choose!