Promise (Lizzie's Version)

Word Count: 1013

(This is slightly rushed so I'm sorry for any mistakes)

Lizzie 

This is it. 

I'm going down on one knee for Y/n. Albeit it's a promise ring but I feel like throwing up.  

I've put it off for a little because of Christmas but now it's new years and this seems like the perfect time.  

Me and Y/n are going to a park to watch the 2024 fireworks and then I'll do it. She doesn't know but I hope she likes the whole thing.  

My palms sweat furiously as I begin to walk to Y/n's. At one point, I physically had to stop to calm down.  

Let's do this Lizzie, you're going to ruin the surprise! 

I keep walking and use my acting skills to make myself look nonchalant. It was just about eleven o'clock which would give Y/n and I time to walk to the park and find somewhere to settle. 

Once I finally get to Y/n's door, I hesitantly knock and wait for only a few seconds until Y/n stands in front of me. 

She looks gorgeous; her outfit looked amazing on her. Her eyes light up with joy as she sees me. 

"Hi pretty eyes, you ready?" 

I nod at her words and she takes my hand. We start to talk and slowly stroll to the nearest park, snow crunching under our feet. 

"Y/n, you make me so happy." I say out of the blue which makes her smile widen. "You fix me." 

She stops walking which I don't notice until I get tugged backwards sharply as our fingers were interlocked. 

"Pretty eyes," she cups my face lovingly, "There isn't a word strong enough to show my love for you." She kisses me and I happily accept, leaning into the kiss naturally. 

"I love you 3000." Y/n says with a cheeky grin. 

"Did you just quote Tony Stark?" I raise an eyebrow at her. 

"Actually it was Morgan Stark." Y/n says matter-of-factly. I roll my eyes. 

"You're such a dork." I tease as we sit at a bench. When did we get to the park? Who knows. 

"Your dork?" I chuckle softly and reminisce about a close memory. For the moment I had forgotten, it felt like deja vu. 

"My dork." 

We both watch as cars drive past and building lights flicker off. Most stayed on. I mean, it's not surprising as it's new years eve. 

I put my head on Y/n's shoulder and shift a little to get comfortable. She places her head on top of mine and we wait patiently. 

It's eleven fifty and I start to get nervous. 

I begin to fidget which Y/n immediately notices and takes hand gently because of it. 

"It's okay to be nervous pretty eyes." 

"Are you nervous?" I question and Y/n is quick to reassure. 

"No, I'm okay; you're here." 

We wait for a bit longer until I see that it's eleven fifty-eight. 

I take a deep breath and watch as a few more people are scattering around the streets. 

Then we hear people start to chant the count down. 

Fuck this is scarier than I thought. 

"TEN!!" 

"We should've brought grapes." Y/n smiles at me as I nervously laugh. 

How am I going to even plan to propose to Y/n if I can't even give her a promise ring? 

My eyes widen. 

Did I just think about proposing to Y/n? 

Fuck I need to sit down. 

Wait I'm already sat. 

What is happening right now? 

I look over to Y/n as her face is filled with pure joy because it had started to lightly snow. 

"NINE!!" 

Okay this is happening now. 

People have started to flood the streets now but the park was still fairly empty. Even though, I'm mentally preparing myself as this promise ring proposal will be in front of a lot of people. 

They probably won't notice, right? 

Yeah who am I kidding? This is going to be everywhere. 

"EIGHT!!" 

Some warning fireworks have begun now. Everyone looked at them in complete awe. 

Y/n looks so happy that it even caused a smile to spread on my face. I kiss her quickly on the cheek and she looks at me with her beautiful features. 

For a moment, I relax. She's perfect. This will be perfect. 

"SIX!!" 

Did we miss a number or did I zone out? Probably the second one. 

"C'mon lets stand." I usher Y/n up and she puts an arm around my shoulders as we continue to watch the small fireworks. 

"FIVE!!" 

This is when the proper fireworks begin. Giant fireworks light the sky and Y/n looks up in wonder. 

"Look at how beautiful Lizzie!" 

I stare at her. "I'm looking. It's extraordinary." 

She looks at me to find me staring with a huge smile. 

"Now who's the dork?" 

I roll my eyes again. 

"Your dork?" I imitate her. 

"My dork." She nods and laughs. 

"FOUR!!" 

Oh shit, that's still happening, right. 

I look up again, Y/n following quickly after. 

"THREE!!" 

I look at Y/n through my peripheral vision. 

She's distracted, good. 

"TWO!!" 

I slowly get on one knee and fish around my coat for the ring box. 

She's still distracted as the fireworks become bigger and bigger. 

"ONE!!"

No going back now. 

Y/n stands happily, obliviously, but happily nonetheless. 

The sky explodes in bright lights and vibrant colours. And finally... 

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!" The crowds of people begin to erupt into loud shouting and screaming. 

The fireworks slightly die down when Y/n turns to look at me. 

"Happy new year pretty ey-" 

She looks down to find me on one knee with the ring presented neatly in its box. 

"Happy new year my love. I can't even begin to dream what life would be like without you. You're my dream. The perfect girl for me. Will you accept my promise ring?" I say with a hopeful smile. 

"Of course pretty eyes. I love you so so much." We both begin to tear up as I slide the ring on her finger and pull her into my embrace. 

It's real. My dreams have become real.