Chapter 24: Gazes (Not Looking Away)

Ryujin's POV

The kiss we shared that night is etched in my memories, an indelible mark that refuses to fade. It lingers, haunting my thoughts, and I can't shake the fear that it will forever alter the delicate friendship we both hold dear.

I find myself afraid and hesitant to tread into realms where boundaries blur and lines get crossed. 

She's a cornerstone in my life, perhaps the most important one, and the newfound emotions stir within me, unsettling and unfamiliar.

Now, I find myself paralyzed, unable to look at others without feeling guilty. 

It's as if I've cheated on an unspoken agreement, and my heart aches at the mere sight of something I never wished to witness.

"Ryujin, are you good?" Lia's voice sliced through the internal turmoil like a soothing melody, demanding my attention.

I gulped, allowing the pent-up tension to escape with a slow exhale. "Yep, I'm fine."

The concern in her eyes lingered, and she noted, "You don't seem like one."

"Don't worry, there's nothing I can't handle," I replied, offering a smile that didn't quite reach my eyes.

She studied me for a moment, her gaze penetrating the facade. Playfully, she broke the heavy silence. "Sure, it's not just a case of, you know, lack of... sex?"

A chuckle escaped me, and I was grateful for her attempt to inject humor. "I'm sure it's not."

"Because if it is, I can help you with that," she teased, her tone mischievous.

"Lia, I told you, I don't mess around with friends," I said, realizing the weight behind my words.

"That's not what I mean, and besides, why so serious?" She playfully slapped my arm, the sound echoing in the quiet.

"Forgive me," I murmured, sensing the emotions lingering in the air.

Lia laughed, breaking the tension. "If you had told me earlier you don't fuck friends, I shouldn't have befriended you."

I mockingly screamed, "Shut up!"

She laughed again, delivering another playful slap. "You literally rejected me, ouch," she dramatized, holding her chest, "and nobody rejects me."

"Glad to be unique then," I said, laughing, and she indulged me with another slap.

"Glad, the reason was because you don't date friends and not because there's someone else," she said, flicking her hair with a flourish, "because nobody's better than me."

My nerves surfaced, but I managed a chuckle, attempting to steer the conversation. "Heard from Chaeryeong that you're into somebody right now?"

"You'll know her when I finally make her say yes," she declared, playfully slapping me again. The echoes of her laughter intertwined with the wintry air, creating a moment suspended in the whims of lighthearted banter. 

"So, I'll have the pleasure of witnessing Lia in her era of romance," I teased, savoring the playful camaraderie.

A delicate blush graces her cheeks as she admits, "Speaking of relationships, Minho and Yeji kissed. Does that mean they're-"

"I don't know, probably yes," I respond, my gaze fixated on the distant horizon, a silent spectator to unfolding emotions.

"Aren't you happy?" she probes, her eyes searching mine for unspoken truths.

"I am," I assure her, attempting to infuse conviction into my words. "I truly am."

"You aren't," she observes, the rhythmic tap of her fingers on the table punctuating the moment.