Chapter 1 Rebirth

It happens to be September which is the season of crisp autumn air. In the Cui Mansion Garden of Dong Ning Fang, the branches are covered with golden osmanthus and the subtle fragrance floats silently to every corner.

Cui Mansion is presided over by the second wife, Madam Xie. When she saw that the weather was good, she sent people to inform the ladies of each house that they would play the qin and drink tea in the garden in the morning. After a while, she casually asked the maid Yanzi, "Is Second Young Master home?"

Yanzi smoothed her clothes and replied: "He is. The Second Young Master is taking a rest today and is in the study with Third Young Master Zhou."

Madam Xie said: "The Young Masters haven't seen each other for a long time. Go and prepare some cakes and drinks and invite them all to the garden."

Yanzi responded with a smile.

Not long after, Cui Xining from the Cui family's eldest house led Cui Xirong and Cui Xitong from the third house to the garden first. Cui Xijun from the second house also led over her friend Su Panyan.

Su Panyan is the daughter of Su Yunchen, the general ambassador. She hit it off with Cui Xijun at the Flower Festival Banquet two years ago and they can now be regarded as close friends.

Cui Xijun said: "It happened that Yan came to play with me so we came together."

Su Panyan was no stranger to the young ladies of the Cui family. After several people greeted them, Cui Xirong suddenly asked: "Isn't Sister Xie here today?"

Sister Xie refers to Xie Miao, Madam Xie's niece, who is currently staying in Cui Mansion. Madam Xie is the second wife of Cui Shishuo. Cui Muli and Cui Xijun were both born to the late Madam He. Therefore they are not close to Xie Miao but in the past, Xie Miao would never be left out of any activities in the house.

Recently, it seems like she hasn't been seen for a long time?

Mentioning this cheap cousin, Cui Xijun smiled half-heartedly, "She fell down a few days ago when she went to Qingxin Temple. After she woke up, she stayed behind closed doors. I heard that she holds a book of scriptures every day and devotes herself to Buddha. It's over!"

While the sisters were joking, Cui Muli and Zhou Niannan approached. Under the maple leaves, the two young men are handsome, distinguished in temperament and each has his own style.

Su Panyan briefly glanced at Cui Muli quickly and did not dare to look any further.

Cui Xirong said straightforwardly: "Second Brother is here and Sister Xie will probably not be far away either."

After hearing this, Cui Muli looked slightly concerned and Zhou Niannan laughed out loud.

What kind of calculations Xie Miao has in mind can be clearly seen by even an outsider let alone Cui Muli. Thinking of the pretentious and duplicitous cousin, Zhou Niannan couldn't help but sympathize with Cui Muli.

Cui Er, take care!

*

The protagonist, Xie Miao, who was secretly choreographed by someone, was hiding in the room at this time, holding a scripture in her arms and chanting words with her eyes closed.

"I am now observing these floating roots and four dusty objects which are only in front of me. Such awareness of my mind actually resides in my body..." (quoted from the Surangama Sutra)

Lan Xia had just returned from sending Yanzi away. After hearing what her Young Lady was reading, her head felt heavy for a moment.

"Miss." She stepped forward and said, "Madam said that it's a rare occasion that the Second Young Master is free today and is resting in the garden."