Chapter 98 Missed chance

The lanterns are on, and the night is fading.

Zhiwei Tower stands in the most prosperous area of the capital. No matter morning or evening, there are many carriages and horses in front of the door, and there are many distinguished guests.

The elegant window is wide open, letting in a gentle breeze. Looking into the distance, the ripples of the night lake reflect the light of thousands of lights, which is so beautiful.

The two had been friends since they were young, and they hadn't seen each other for a long time, so they naturally talked happily.

"Muli, it has been three years since we parted ways in Yangzhou. Time flies like an arrow ." Ding Mingxuan raised his cup with emotion and said, "Come, let this elder brother toast a cup to you!"

Cui Muli held up the jade cup and said with a smile: "I went to Yangzhou for a study tour back then, and it's thanks to Brother Ding who took care of me. This time you come to the capital, you should have informed me in advance so that I can fulfill my duty as a host."

Ding Mingxuan cleared his throat and said awkwardly: "It's a long story. My return to the capital... was completely accidental."

Cui Muli poured wine for him and said calmly, "Oh?"

"You and I are good brothers, so I won't hide it from you." Ding Mingxuan said: "I had a marriage agreement a few years ago, and she is the daughter of Yangzhou's Deputy Minister. The wedding date was supposed to be in August this year, but..."

Cui Muli responded in time: "There was an accident?"

Ding Mingxuan tightened his cup and sighed, "You know I don't have any hobbies on weekdays. I only like to go to the flower house to listen to people playing the qin and singing. But I swear to God, I have never done anything extraordinary. I just simply like elegant things."

Cui Muli said tactfully, "Then the daughter of the Deputy Minister doesn't like this?"

"More than just being unhappy. I heard that she had a big quarrel with the Deputy Minister and threatened to break off the engagement." Ding Mingxuan smiled bitterly, "The marriage has been decided, how can she be allowed to say she won't get married if she doesn't want to? So she came up with a damaging move. She took advantage of when her family wasn't paying attention, and packed up her things and ran away from home. "

Cui Muli reasoned reasonably: "Is this young lady coming to the capital?"

Ding Mingxuan nodded: "There is news that she has come to the capital, but I have been searching for more than a month and there is still no trace of her. Alas, maybe the news is wrong and she has not come to the capital at all."

Wrong news?

Cui Muli lowered his long eyes and slowly rubbed the rim of the cup without saying a word.

Ding Mingxuan drank several cups of wine, then suddenly fixed his eyes on the other person and said hesitantly: "Muli, have you heard about Panyan's cancellation of the engagement?"

This is a question that he asked knowingly.

Ding Mingxuan is Su Panyan's cousin, and he stayed in the Su Mansion when he came to the capital. How could he not have heard of Su Panyan's attentiveness to the Second Young Master Cui after she broke off the engagement? He made it clear at this time just to test Cui Muli's attitude.

He had hidden expectations and looked at Cui Muli with inquiring eyes. However, he saw Cui Muli's face remained unmoved and said quietly: "What does it have to do with me whether Miss Su's engagement come to fruition or not?"