Chapter 36 Counterattack

Within half a month, a scandal involving the Fourth Prince broke out.

The Fourth Prince recently took in a new concubine named Guo Rui, the daughter of the commander of the Jingwei. Guo Rui had a younger brother named Guo Yang. Two months ago, he took an overdose of Five Stone Powder while he was engaging in licentious amusement. He was so confused and became delirious. He killed someone and then self-mutilated. During his lifetime, he relied on his sister Guo Rui to have a close relationship with the Fourth Prince. He used the Fourth Prince's reputation to intimidate people. He ran rampant in the city and killed the womenfolk. If any family members went to Jingzhao Mansion to beat drums and complain about their grievances, they would be stopped by Guo Yang's lackeys on the way, dragged to a deserted place and beaten to death with sticks...

The matter of Guo Yang's disregard for human life is causing a fuss, and the old story of his father, Guo Dahong, a fellow commander of Jingwei, was exposed again. It turns out that when he joined the army in his early years, he was greedy for life and fearful of death, and escaped from the battle. However, after his fellow soldiers perished with the enemy, he used this opportunity to return. He lied that he had fought to the death to defend the enemy. He was deceitful and pretended to claim the merits of others!

Rumours spread everywhere, and although Zhang Xianzong dealt with many people urgently, the matter still reached the ears of Emperor Chengxuan.

Emperor Chengxuan is an upright and virtuous man who could not tolerate dirty things, so he immediately sent Dali Temple to investigate. Just when Dali Temple had enough evidence and presented it to the Emperor, the father of the Fourth Prince's Concubine, the Prince of Xianyang, also impeached his son-in-law. He claimed that the Fourth Prince actually beat up the principal concubine for the sake of a mere concubine!

The whole court——was stunned.

No one would have thought that the Fourth Prince, who has a good reputation, would behave like this. However, the Prince of Xianyang County was very confident in his words, and the Fourth Prince's concubine went to the palace to pay homage to the Empress. It is said that she shed tears in Fengyi Palace and begged the Empress to make a decision for her.

Leaving aside the Fourth Prince's involvement, the most embarrassing one was undoubtedly Imperial Concubine Zhang.

The Fourth Prince is her biological son, and the Fourth Prince's concubine was her carefully chosen daughter-in-law. The couple got into trouble in front of Emperor Chengxuan over a concubine, that is, a concubine! She and Zhang Xianzong spent so much effort to make the Fourth Prince stand out among many princes and really fall into the eyes of the Emperor. Now it's just because of a concubine, just a concubine!

Imperial Concubine Zhang was planning how to appease the wrath of the Emperor. Someone informed her that the Fourth Prince requested a meeting. The first thing he said during the meeting was to ask her to keep Guo Rui!

Imperial Concubine Zhang was so angry that she rolled her eyes and fainted. On the other side, the Empress and other courtiers appealed to the Emperor to severely punish the Guo family according to the laws and discipline of the imperial court.

When Concubine Zhang and the Fourth Prince came to their senses, the matter was a foregone conclusion: Guo's father was beheaded and the Guo's mansion was confiscated. Although Guo Rui was a married daughter, she had evil intentions and protected Guo Yang's evil deeds during his lifetime. For tarnishing the name of Fourth Prince, she deserves the same punishment as her younger brother!

Emperor Chengxuan publicly denounced the Fourth Prince, but privately he could not hide his disappointment. He punished the Fourth Prince with a two-month grounding and removed him from assisting in the affairs of the government. Even though Imperial Concubine Zhang knelt outside Chengqian Hall in the rain all night and fell ill the next day, Emperor Chengxuan did not soften his heart.