Chapter 66 Enjoying the scenery

Set the time back to half an hour ago.

A strange and unattractive carriage carried the "key witness" in the Honghe River Valley silver disaster case to the city. The man riding in the lead, with a handsome appearance and a face like a crown of jade, was none other than Cui Muli, an official in the Ministry of Punishment. There were four captains from the Supervisory Division behind him, all of whom were strong and unsmiling.

The eldest captain among them was named Du Hong. He noticed something unusual in front of him and rode his horse forward to check. After a while, he turned back and said to Cui Muli: "Master Cui, I don't know why the stone is blocking the way, but do you want to have the stone moved and keep going?"

Cui Muli glanced at the sky and said, "It's getting late. Let's change the route."

Du Hong nodded, raised his hand to signal to the others, and the carriage turned around and headed towards the trail.

The trail was a narrow rammed earth road, barely wide enough for a carriage and a half. There were occasional bumps, and a voice is heard asking quietly from inside the carriage: "Cui, Master Cui, when will we get to the city?"

Cui Muli said: "It's almost over. Doctor Cai, please bear with it a little longer."

Doctor Cai responded good-naturedly.

The rammed earth road gradually widened, and the carriage drove into the Devil's Weeping Forest area - this forest is home to a unique white-headed and red-tailed bird. Its chirping sound at night sounds like a ghost's cry, and the villagers call it the "Devil's Weeping Bird."

Cui Muli looked sideways and saw gloomy trees and undulating green waves.

On the other side of the path, opposite the Devil's Weeping Forest, there is a deep and shallow reed swamp. The stalks are bent down by the reed ears, and the reed flowers are blown by the wind.

His left hand moved slightly, and he keenly caught the slight abnormal sound. Suddenly his eyes narrowed and he shouted: "Not good, there is an ambush here!"

As soon as he finished speaking, a sharp wave of murderous intent rushed towards him, aiming directly at Cui Muli. He leaned up at an incredibly soft angle to avoid it, put his right palm on the saddle, and jumped up in an instant.

The crossbow arrow missed and was nailed into a tree trunk not far away, and its feathers buzzed.

The four captains quickly blocked their chests with their swords and guarded the corners of the carriage. Cui Muli quickly looked around and said to Du Hong: "Hide in the woods!"

The four captains did not question him and covered the carriage as it ran towards the Devil's Weeping Forest.

The driver looked horrified, whipping his horse wildly, but within a few steps, crossbow arrows rained down on him. The horse lifted its hooves in pain and neighed. The remaining men abandoned the horse immediately. As their figures dispersed, their swordsmanship was light and the silver light flashed in front of them. In a short time, they slashed away the rain of arrows.

Cui Muli also held a long sword in his hand and bowed down to enter the carriage. Master Cai was shivering in the corner with his head in his hands. Cui Muli grabbed him by the collar and led him to jump out of the carriage, "Let's go!"

Seeing that they were out of range, more than ten men in black suddenly emerged from the reeds and stalked them like ghosts.

Cui Muli threw Master Cai, who was limp in a puddle of mud, to Du Hong, and quickly moved his lips a few times, "Separate your heads, catch the turtle in the urn, and survive." (t/n: catch the turtle in the urn means that the object you want to capture is already under control, or, in this case, the situation is under control)