Chapter 21 Giving alms

Qiaogu's brother bought pens, inks, paper, and inkstones. Because his family was poor and money was tight, he couldn't afford the high-end goods on Zhibei Street, so he bought second-hand goods from second-hand shops.

Qiaogu had run several errands for her brother and was familiar with the flea market.

This place is no less open and spacious than the shops on Zhibei Street. It's just an old shop on a narrow street, filled with all kinds of merchandise. Looking around, even the air seems to be slightly yellow.

Qiaogu led Xie Miao and the others through the narrow streets and walked into an old bookstore. She explained: "My brother often buys paper from this store."

There are old rolled-up books on the table in the bookstore, and bundles of yellow paper are piled in the corner.

Xie Miao copied scriptures for Madam Cui. She used fine Danxuan paper, which was white in color and fine in texture. The paper in the corner is light yellow in color, has a rough surface, and has ragged edges. It looks very poor in quality.

She couldn't help but imagine: if the ink dropped on it, it would spread out into a ball...

The shopkeeper saw an acquaintance and greeted her warmly, "Qiaogu, are you here to buy paper for your brother again?"

Qiaogu smiled and shook her head, "I'm not buying paper today, but I want to ask you something. Have you ever heard of Shuxiang Papermaking Workshop?"

"Shuxiang Paper Workshop? What? Do you want to buy paper in bulk?" The shopkeeper avoided answering and asked with a smile: "Just ask me to buy paper. The price I give is definitely more affordable than the paper factory."

Qiaogu waved her hands repeatedly, pointed at Xie Miao and said, "It's not me who wants to buy paper, it's this sister who has something to do with the shopkeeper of Shuxiang Papermaking Workshop."

The shopkeeper of the bookstore had already noticed the very conspicuous young lady next to her, "Oh? The lady is looking for the shopkeeper of the Shuxiang Papermaking Workshop?"

From what he said, it was obvious that he knew about Shuxiang Papermaking Workshop.

Xie Miao felt happy in her heart, but did not show it on her face. She replied reservedly: "Yes, please show me the way."

Fu Lu behind her immediately handed over a small purse.

The shopkeeper of the bookstore took the purse, assessed the weight, and said with satisfaction: "You can bring money with you, but the shopkeeper of the Shuxiang Papermaking Workshop has passed away, and his shop is about to close down. If you want paper, I can recommend other paper mills for you. The price is absolutely favourable."

The words made Fu Lu and Lan Xia dizzy. This, this, this, this is different from what the Young Lady said. Who promised that the Shuxiang Papermaking Workshop would dominate Da Qi and lead them to eliminate poverty, embrace prosperity, and reach the pinnacle of life?

Only Xie Miao was still able to hold on.

She thought a little and figured it out clearly: the "dead shopkeeper" mentioned by the bookstore shopkeeper was definitely not Fang Zhiruo, but it should be Fang Zhiruo's family. As for closing down soon...she still needs to go and find out.

She then asked: "Is this shop owner's surname Fang and has a daughter at home?"

The bookstore owner nodded, "Exactly."

Xie Miao breathed a sigh of relief and said, "I just want her paper. Could you please show me the way?"

*