Chapter 6

ADRIAN

"Hey, can I get a beer?" I asked the waiter and he gave me a confused look before glancing towards my parents.

"Just your finest wine, please," Dad interjected and I rolled my eyes.

"Adrian you're not supposed to be drinking alcohol. It will affect your health, remember that. We can't afford to risk any type of sickness when you're the star member of the hockey team." Mom said.

Christ, they were at it again.

This shit will keep going for about two more hours and by the time I'll leave here, my life battery would decrease to 1% after listening to their crap.

"It's already affecting his mental health, Mom. His well-being will be the least of your problems." Amy said and I twisted around in my seat and narrowed my eyes at her.

"For someone with a low brain IQ, you sure know a lot about what affects our mentality."

She glared at me picked up her stake knife and stabbed the cooked meat on her plate.

"Well, this just explained a lot how you two are doing well together at school. Do you still ignore your sister and pretend that she doesn't exist?" Dad asked me while smirking and I scowled at him.

"Me? She's the one going around school telling everyone that she's the only child."

"What can I say? I enjoy the attention alone." Amy added and I scoffed in annoyance.

"See?" I gestured to Dad and he shook his head in disappointment.

The waiter came back around with a new expensive wine bottle which I immediately snatched off the bucket to pour myself a glass first before anyone else gets to.

The tension around this table was sucking my energy dry and with Amy constantly annoying me, my frustration was building up.

This is why I hate having dinner with my parents when they're in town.

For once, it was their excuse to check in on their two children and see how well they've been doing by themselves in college. Plus, the never-ending expectations lining up that they will waste an hour during this dinner just laying it out on us.

Second, I have no choice but to acknowledge the reality of this brat's existence sitting right next to me.

Being one year apart was one thing, being reminded that we're siblings was a complete nightmare. I don't mind the fact that she tells people that she's the only child in the family.

I'm living my life in the best way possible by feeding people the same lie too.

"Easy on the wine, son." Dad suddenly said while eyeing the deep red liquid that was almost spilling out of my glass. "You might get more than tipsy from that."

I picked up the glass and raised it towards him.

"That's the plan, Dad. Cheers."

They all stared at me like I had suddenly grown another head but I just ignored it and took huge sips of my wine.

The night was long, and I was just getting started.