Chapter 20

KAIA

The next day at school, I received a text from an unknown number that had me panicking for a moment when it said,

I'm outside; come see me for a moment.

My mind immediately paid a visit to the dark realm, giving me scenarios and ideas that this was from a stalker, or some creep that had been in love with me since twelve grade, who was here to kidnap me, disassemble my body parts, and sell them to the Chinese black market.

But when the second text came from the same number, all thoughts flew down the drain.

It's Callum, by the way.

I instantly blew out a sigh of relief. I had to admit, I'll give him a solid ten points for making me freak out for a minute there before he sent the second text to tell me who he was.

I bet the jerk was laughing his head off in his car right now, just imagining my reaction.

I have no idea how he got my number, but it was a good sign. It means he was definitely asking around for me because he was totally interested.

After my lecture was finished, I quickly grabbed my stuff and went outside to meet up with him.

I just wasn't expecting him to be posing outside a bright red Ferrari with the top down and shining brightly under the hot sun, making sure to catch a lot of attention.

He was relishing in the moment, but this was a bad idea. He shouldn't have come all the way here. Would it kill him to find another place and just ask to meet there instead?

I quickly walked up to him, and he took off his shades and smiled when he saw me. Before I could open my mouth to talk, he surprisingly greeted me with a kiss on the cheek that caught me off guard.

"Thank you for coming to see me." He said, and I quickly masked my expression with a smile.

"Yeah, no worries. So, what's up?"

He leaned back against his car and clasped his hands together in front of him while staring at me.

"Nothing; I just wanted to see you."

I slowly nodded in confusion.

"Oookay."

"I've been thinking a lot about you lately." He said with a serious tone, and I pretended to look surprised. "After last night, I just can't seem to get you out of my head."

An awkward laugh suddenly escaped from my mouth.

"Oh, wow. Um, really?"

He nodded once while biting his lower lip.

I mean, the guy was cute and had everything, but I wasn't planning on catching feelings along the way. It should only be him, and that was the plan.

Good thing everything was working out so fast. Once I have him wrapped around my little finger, everything else will be easy.

"What are you suggesting you should do about it?" I replied while lowering my tone.

His face immediately turned serious, and he slowly stood up straight, his eyes darting back and forth between mine.

"I know it feels like a bad idea, but I want to kiss you right now."

Oookay buddy! Let's put a pause right there.

I chuckled while glancing around.

"Take me out on a date, and we will decide about that later."

His eyes immediately sparked with interest.

"I like that idea. But I have two upcoming games next week, which will be in Philadelphia." He replied before taking a step towards me. "How about after, when I come back?"

He tucked my hair behind my ear while looking down at me. His eyes fell to my lips for a brief moment before moving back to my eyes.

"Okay," I answered while taking a step back. "Call me when you're back in town!"

I shouted before turning around and walking back inside the school building.

"Then save my number!" He shouted back, and I smiled.

This was easy.

But the smile immediately wiped off my face when I saw the person standing a few feet away from me. His eyes focused hard on something behind me, and I only realized what it was when I heard Callum's car revive to life before zooming away.

Then, Adrian's eyes snapped to mine, and he glared while walking towards me.

"What the fuck was that all about?" He demanded angrily.

"Do you not know how to mind your own business?"

"It becomes my business when you're talking to someone who reeks of bad intensions and a walking red flag that I know too well." He snapped. "Why was Callum Morris here?"

"He came to see me."

He started laughing sarcastically.

"You?"

"Yeah, me. Is that so hard to believe?" I answered sharply.

"What could he possibly want from someone like you?"

His question pinched at my feelings, and I glared at him.

"My attention."

He scoffed while looking away to the side.

"He's interested in you?" His tone suddenly dropped an octave.

"Why not? He thinks I'm pretty, and he came all the way here to tell me that he couldn't stop thinking about me."

Adrian's eyes narrowed, and his jaw suddenly tightened.

"Yeah right. Well, good luck with that because you're in for a shitshow, Lilian." He said to my face with a tight-lipped smile.

Oh, trust me, you are too.