Chapter 15

KAIA

"Who's ready to go hiking today?" Miss Levont exclaimed with excitement in the middle of our breakfast.

Silence immediately fell upon us as we all stared at her with confusion while she still smiled around at all of us.

"Are you being serious right now, Mom?" Amy asked while buttering her toast.

"Of course, I'm being serious. What, you all think it's a bad idea?"

Everyone shrugged and mumbled their responses.

"It's going to be fun." She continued. "The front desk clerk had already given me a map and a pamphlet with all the cool spots near the mountains. I want to see something beautiful and exciting today, so y'all are going with me."

She gave me a knowing look, and I smiled before drinking my coffee. I knew she was already expecting me to go with her, and I didn't think it would be a bad idea.

I would love to see some amazing mountain views, too.

"I could use the exercise," Amy said, and her mother beamed happily at her.

"You really do," Adrian said to her, and both Amy and I glared at him at the same time.

"You're all coming, including you, Adrian." Miss. Levont declared before getting up from her seat.

Adrian quickly opened his mouth to say something, but his mother beat him to it.

"No excuses. If Nate is going, then so are you. That goes to you too, Gabriel." She tells her ex-husband, who quietly rolls his eyes while drinking his tea.

"We don't even have any hiking clothes or shoes," I said to Miss Levont, but she just waved her hand at me and smiled.

"Just wear anything comfortable, sweetheart. As long as you can move around in it without ripping anything."

Adrian stifled back a laugh, and I shot him a glare before smiling back at Miss Levont. She left the dining table and started doing a little jog up the staircase to start getting ready.

OoO

Twenty minutes later, we all met up outside after getting dressed and securing a backpack filled with water bottles, snacks, and other necessary items we might need during the hike.

Since Amy and I were the only ones without proper hiking clothes, we just put on anything more comfortable to wear.

The others looked great wearing an actual hiking outfit, plus the shoes. I rolled the sleeves of my sweater up my arms before tying my hair in a low ponytail and covering my head with a cap.

"Okay, family! Let's go hiking." Miss. Levont announced with enthusiasm, and I chuckled before Amy linked her arm around mine, and we all followed her through a clear path in the woods.