𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Welcome back Mahito." Kenjaku greeted him, turning his head to the door which Mahito came through as his eyes stuck on the condition his body was in. "You look... different." he mused, his gaze following Mahito limping across the room, "Did it not go well?"

"Do I look like it went well?" Mahito gritted his teeth and his brows furrowed at Kenjaku's assumption, his body now falling into a chair beside him. "Where's your beloved teammate?" Mahito averted his gaze from the ceiling to Kenjaku again before he responded in an annoyed tone. "I don't know... Probably dead, though."

Kenjaku turned his whole body to face him now, his expression confused but still calm and collected. "What happened?" – "No idea, really. Some kid was there and apparently he's Sukuna's vessel. He was... strong. Shattered my domain like it was nothing..." Mahito reminisced, his mind replaying the whole battle between them.

"Where's the finger I wanted you to bring?" Kenjaku didn't seem fased by Mahito's experience, not even in the slightest and just went on. "That boy... He... Or his body ate that thing." Mahito's expressions slipped and he cringed as he showed Kenjaku how the whole ordeal went down.

"Hmm...," Kenjaku purred, mindlessly resting his chin on the back of his hand, "I know that someone is not going to be pleased with these news." Their eyes met and Mahito rolled his eyes, groaning because he already knew what was coming.

"Go. Hide somewhere while I tell Choso." Kenjaku stood up, striding through the door while Mahito went to his favorite hiding spot, a dark alley where he was going to chill and heal himself.

"Choso."

"Hm?" Choso was curled up on the couch, just awoken from his nap when Kenjaku ordered him into the other room for a serious conversation.

He was always either sleeping or playing board games, still mourning the loss of his brothers when you weren't with him, the only time he could forget about the pain was when he was with you.

"Mahito came back. Alone."

"What?! Where is y/n?" His eyes widened at the horrifying thoughts that occupied his mind at that moment, and he was already preparing for the worst.

"There was a fight." Kenjaku sighed loudly, averting his gaze to the back of the room, "Apparently the finger they were told to bring here, was eaten by a young boy. And he became Sukuna's vessel."

Choso's jaw dropped at the words that left his lips, he was so shocked he didn't even know if he was breathing anymore. "What..." he breathed, his voice brittle and shaky, "Did he just leave her behind?!?"

"She was already dead, Choso."

"No. I know she's not." Tears filled up his eyes as he spoke to Kenjaku, his voice on the verge of breaking. "I can feel her... I can feel her heart beating. She's alive and I need to go get her."

Choso stood up, determined to get you out of there as fast as possible, and then he would teach Mahito a lesson. He's going to pay for leaving you there, hurt and almost on the brink of death when he acted like a wimp and fled the scene.

He was already at the door when Kenjaku grabbed his wrist forcefully, holding him back. "You're not going there. That would be giving them just what they are waiting for." – "I have to go!" Choso snapped, his brows knit together in fury as he slapped off Kenjaku's grip on his wrist.

Kenjaku grabbed Choso's face, squishing his cheeks together with so much force that his lips pouted. "You. Are. Not. Going. There." he commanded, digging his fingers into Choso's cheeks. "I won't repeat myself."

He let go of Choso's face and turned around to exit the room without saying another word, but Choso wasn't finished talking. He was just too worked up to let it rest now. He knew you were alive, and he wanted Kenjaku to believe him. He wanted him to see it with his own eyes.

"Then... If she's really... dead," he spat the word like it was poison, "Then the least we can do, is giving her a proper burial." He stood there, his shoulders slumped and hoping Kenjaku would accept his offer, and even though he was 99% sure that you were alive, there was still a small chance that you'd really be dead.

And if that was the case, he knew he couldn't bear another loss after his brothers. He would perish, crushed under the weight of all his loved ones dying around him. Everyone that meant something to him, leaving him alone with the sorrow and grief of the lost pieces of his heart that they took with them.

Kenjaku contemplated, thinking about the risks of getting your dead body back, and even though he believed Mahito that you were dead when he left, he also thought about a possible chance of you surviving.

You were strong and he knew that, he knew you'd not give out as easily and fight until the very last second.

"I'm the one that's going to Jujutsu High. You'll stay here."

Choso loosened a sigh of relief at Kenjaku's response to his pleads, and he slid down the door, curling up in front of it as a few tears of suspense rolled down his cheeks while Kenjaku was already outside, making his way towards Jujutsu High to gain certainty of the situation. 

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Branches were breaking with Kenjaku's heavy steps as he wandered through the woods outside of the curtain that was put up around the school. His eyes scanned the area for any traces of you – dead or alive – but there was only blissful silence surrounding him when he continued his search.

He had already tried to call you before, maybe hear your phone ring somewhere around, but it was dead – probably crushed from the fight – he assumed. Bending down, he saw two trails of footsteps leading up to the school, which must have been you and Mahito when you arrived here.

His fingers brushed against the indentations in the dirt before he followed the way of your tracks up the hill. As soon as he got to the curtain, he raised his arm and tried to put his hand through it, but he wasn't surprised when he couldn't do it.

A small smile played on his lips after a soft sigh left them.

"I expected that. You've always been cautious, Satoru."

The quiet whisper was directed to himself, reminiscing about the schooldays with no one else than Suguru Geto's best friend, and the strongest sorcerer to walk this earth – Satoru Gojo.  

Memories flashed through his mind, not Kenjaku's but rather the ones of the person this body belonged to before. 

A͓̽ ͓̽d͓͓̽̽a͓͓̽̽y͓̽ ͓̽a͓͓̽̽t͓̽ ͓̽t͓͓̽̽h͓͓̽̽e͓̽ ͓̽b͓͓̽̽e͓͓̽̽a͓͓̽̽c͓͓̽̽h͓̽ ͓̽w͓͓̽̽i͓͓̽̽t͓͓̽̽h͓̽ ͓̽R͓͓̽̽i͓͓̽̽k͓͓̽̽a͓̽...

S͆t͆r͆o͆l͆l͆i͆n͆g͆ t͆h͆r͆o͆u͆g͆h͆ t͆h͆e͆ b͆u͆s͆y͆ s͆t͆r͆e͆e͆t͆s͆...

͓̽R͓͓̽̽i͓͓̽̽d͓͓̽̽i͓͓̽̽n͓͓̽̽g͓̽ ͓̽a͓̽ ͓̽b͓͓̽̽i͓͓̽̽k͓͓̽̽e͓̽ ͓̽t͓͓̽̽o͓͓̽̽g͓͓̽̽e͓͓̽̽t͓͓̽̽h͓͓̽̽e͓͓̽̽r͓̽...

He knew the pictures that popped up in his mind weren't his own, but still – somehow they had let a weird wave of nostalgia wash through him and the melancholy that still lingered in this body wasn't something he craved either.