𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟖

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

You were waiting for Shoko outside, fiddling with your fingers as the minutes turned into hours in your mind. Everything was rushing by and you couldn't even pay attention to the cloudless sky that was adorning the beautiful evening as your thoughts were fully occupied with Nanami's confession.

The few birds that sang were the soundtrack to your racing mind, almost mocking you with their sweet notes. A few cherry blossoms were flying across the path in front of you from the wind as Shoko's voice sounded out behind you.

"What happened?" She sounded concerned but as soon as she stepped up to you, she hooked her arm into yours, pulling you along with her.

"Nanami told me he fell in love with me." The cigarette that she had tucked between her lips fell to the ground – underlining the gasp she let out at your statement. "He did WHAT?" – "He caught feelings for me, Shoko!"

She picked up the cigarette, lighting at as she stared into your eyes in disbelief. "I can't believe it – WHAT."

Oh, so it seemed it was a rare occasion that Nanami caught feelings for someone.

Great, just great.

You hated that you had to break to him that you were afraid that you didn't feel the same way.

He was nice, attractive – Hell yes – but you weren't in love with him. Yet.

"Help me!" Your sorrowful expression made an amused expression creep on Shoko's face, which made your despair even worse. You didn't want to break his heart. What if this was the first time he owned up to something like that to himself.

"Honey, you definitely need a drink. Let's go." She pulled you along with her, down the long set of stairs that led to the school. Eager for some alcohol and eager for some clarity, you followed after her.

After the sun was long gone and you were a few whiskeys deep, you both joked and laughed – your running thoughts about Nanami now forgotten in the sea of that sweet and woody taste. Her cheeks were already flushed as she lit another cigarette right beside you and the smoke filled your nostrils.

You were curious about the taste of these things, since you never even tried to smoke once in your life.

"What does it feel like?" you giggled, your alcohol tinged breath fanning her face. "What?" – "Smoking, I mean. The cigarette."

She raised a brow, smirking widely as she leaned over to you. "Want to try?" she dared you, blowing a small puff of smoke in the distance that lingered between your faces.