𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓

Light trickling of rain awoke you out of a deep sleep, and you took in your surroundings – the bed you were resting on, the thin sheets you were nestled into and the small window to your side that the raindrops were sliding down from.

You wondered, though, how you got here in the first place since the last thing you remembered was being in the library and keeping Nanami company, pondering about stealing the cursed object.

Groaning at the hip pain you still experienced, you got up and noticed that you were still in the same clothes that you were in last night when you wandered through the silent hallways of Jujutsu High. You needed to find Shoko, so you could ask her about leaving at last.

You didn't want to get attached to any of this kindness or any of the people here, and if there was a right time to leave, it was today.

Upon opening the door, you were met with quiet chatter sounding in the hallway and when you spotted Yuji and the other dark-haired guy that was with the girl yesterday, you slammed the door shut again. As quick as you could, you got back into the room and listened closely through the wood.

"Have you seen that movie where a car tire comes to life and has some kind of power to make people explode? It also goes on a wild killing spree just murdering people!"

"Why would anyone want to watch a movie like that?"

"It was so weird it was actually insane! But it wasn't half bad, the effects were actually kind of nice!"

Yuji giggled loudly but then a muffled thud could be heard.

"Don't even think about asking me to watch it together, Yuji."

"Oh come on, Megumi! It's only one and a half hours and it could be fun!"

His whiny voice got louder the closer they got to your door, but you didn't want to open up just yet.

"No."

"Pleaseee Megumi!" he pleaded, and you could hear hands clapping together.

"I said NO, now would you please leave me alone, I'm tired."

"You're always tired."

You could almost hear him pouting even though the voices got fainter the farther they were walking along, and you stepped out of the room when you heard another door close.

"Yuji?" you slowly walked up to him, the guilt you felt was already showing in your expression, but Yuji met you halfway through the hallway.

"Hey." His tone was more serious than before, but he was friendly anyway, that just seemed to be his thing. He was just a friendly and cheerful person as a whole and you could see it in everything he did.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" you inquired, thinking he would dismiss it entirely, but to your surprise he agreed and put on a little smile. "Yeah, sure – I was looking for you too."

You closed the door after you both entered your room, and he just threw himself on your bed, casually leaning on his elbow when you turned around and joined him, but you sat on the edge of the mattress turning your body to face him.

"Yuji – Why didn't you tell anyone what happened?" you blurted out, curious to know why he hasn't told anyone that you were a thief, that Sukuna came for the finger you were about to steal and just knocked you out. He was puzzled, but didn't really think about hiding anything and just responded right away, his smile still not fading any bit.

"Because I don't even know why you did that. I don't know who you are or what you want and how could I turn you in at the authorities if I didn't know your reasons?" he exclaimed, but went on, rambling upon his words, "I could never – Would you do something like that? Because that's not really nice..."

"No, no – Stop." You gestured for him to stop talking for a second, and sighed loudly. "I wouldn't. But that's none of your concern." With your eyes darting through the room, contemplating about telling him why you wanted to steal that item, you knew you weren't obliged to tell him anything you didn't want to.

"Look, I need that one finger that's still in the library." You admitted, but his expression wore more questions than he knew he could ask you. "I need it and I need to get away from here, or else a lot of people will get hurt, and I know that's not what all of you want."

"What?!" He was shocked and his eyes shot open at what he was hearing, but he couldn't stop his curiosity as he continued on. "Why would that happen? We didn't do anything?! Is something about to happen because you are..." he was looking for a word to explain what he thought of, "... a curse?"

Shit. Now that's what you got yourself into. 

You didn't want to lie, you didn't want to deceive them. That's just not who you were and that would be unfair to how good they treated you, despite knowing nothing. He deserved an explanation for everything, more so because he didn't tell anyone what really went down and they all thought you had just gotten mixed up in the fight between Mahito and Yuji.

"No, but-," you paused, carefully choosing your words, "I- Please just let me take the finger and then let me leave. If someone is standing in my way, I can't-" Yuji cut you off in the middle of the sentence, and your mouth stood agape as you listened to him continue on. "I'm not dumb. Are you lying to me? Do you think I can't see how you struggle to keep up your whole attitude?"

Your mouth stood open in response, bewildered at his observation, and you weren't able to talk right in that moment.

"Can't you just tell me what you want to do with this thing or why you need it so badly? I promise I won't tell anyone... And I don't even know your name, so I can't tell tales anyway!"

You were completely blown away by his ability to read your thoughts better than you could do it on your own apparently. He read your conflicted expression like an open book. A teenager who only saw you once before, knew you better than you did yourself.

With a disapproving grunt you sighed, reluctantly realizing he was right. He wasn't dumb and after just two days, surrounded by kindness the overall look you were trying to keep up on the outside was already falling apart.

"Yuji - Really, I'm sorry – but I can't explain to you why and what and how. I can just tell you I need this thing and I swear to god, when I'm gone, you'll never see me again. Please." You tried to reason, to him and to you, that you couldn't tell him. 

"Yes, you can. You just need to start talking. Open your mouth and just do it." he persuaded, clearly longing to know everything, "Maybe we could see each other again! You seem nice, maybe we could even become friends, you know?!"

It broke your heart to see him trying so hard to convince you to share your secrets with him, he was naive, but he tried to see something good in every person he met apparently. "Ugh, please...," you exclaimed, massaging your temple in annoyance, "Don't beat me to it. You don't want to be involved in this mess."

"Then I don't have any other choice...," he shrugged and inhaled deeply as he stood up, "MEGUMIIII!~" You slapped your hand onto his mouth to muffle his yell in a matter of seconds and pulled him back by his wrist. "OKAY! FINE!" You hissed through your teeth, pinching your brows in aggravation.

You guessed that Megumi was the boy he was with earlier when he walked by your door, but you didn't want to push your luck any further, so there was no other way than to tell him. At least feed him a little piece of information so he'd stay quiet until you left.

He beamed when he knew he got you and he would finally get a little insight on your personality. His smile was so bright it could have replaced the sun on that very day.

"My name is Y/N. I'm a curse user and I stole Sukuna's finger because my boss told me to. It was a mission. That stitched up man you saw fighting is, or better was, my awful as hell 'teammate'." You rolled your eyes while giving him the vaguest description of your life, covering all the things he needed to know right now so he would not call upon anyone.