Chapter 56

Wu Xingxue stood silently for a moment before saying, "Late."

Then, with a flick of his finger, the grand doors of the Sit Spring Breeze Palace slammed shut with a "boom."

Two young boys dashed over, skidding to a halt beside Wu Xingxue's legs with an "eh."

They were all prepared to welcome guests, only to see the grand doors tightly closed. Their master, wrapped in a cloak, arms crossed, leaned against the door, while the guests...

The guests were decidedly left outside.

Just as the young boys were about to speak, they saw Wu Xingxue place his index finger to his lips, gesturing them to "shush."

They immediately lowered their voices, whispering, "Master, why lock the door?"

Wu Xingxue replied calmly, "To save our lives."

The young boys exchanged looks, even more curious now, "Who was coming?"

Wu Xingxue said, "The Celestial from Heaven's Inn."

The boys instantly understood, "Oh."

The younger one blinked, "What does the Celestial want with you?"

Wu Xingxue replied, "To fight me."

The boys were speechless.

Unable to contain himself, one asked, "Master, what did you do for the Celestial to want to fight you?"

Wu Xingxue thought to himself that it was a long story.

He beckoned the boys closer, their faces serious, ready to listen to a "big secret."

This time, Wu Xingxue didn't speak; instead, he flicked them on the forehead.

The boys, clutching their heads, felt a buzzing sound in their brains as if they had suddenly entered another realm. Although their master hadn't opened his mouth, they could hear him speaking.

Their master said, "I thought the young boys in the Ritual Pavilion all looked too much like little old men, lacking vitality and too obedient, so I played a little trick."

What did he do?

It was actually quite simple, albeit a bit mean.

He would often throw a few paper talismans that transformed into actors, who would bang gongs and clash cymbals, performing grand operas by their bedsides. He wasn't particular about the content of the plays, which were a mix of love and hate, life and death, gathered from the streets by the Falling Flower Platform—all sorts, really. Regardless of the quality, the excitement was genuine.

When the Ritual Pavilion sent those twelve boys to Sit Spring Breeze, he applied a bit of the art of manipulating actors to the boys.

After all, they're made of paper, sharing the same essence.

A young boy asked, "What happens when you add those?"

They come alive, as if they were living beings.

The paper is also reinforced, so it won't lose its spiritual essence amidst the long-lasting malevolent energy.

But Wuxing Xue picked the most unique point to answer, "They can perform, cry miserably."

The young boy was speechless.

The young boy, looking puzzled, couldn't grasp what good "crying miserably" would do, but Wuxing Xue was all too clear about the deeds he himself had done.