Chapter 66

For the Nightfall City, it seemed that no one could sleep that night.

When the thirty-three thunderous roars lifted the self-imposed ban of Sparrow's Restraint, almost every demon and monster with the ability to move their legs in the city showed up. Those who couldn't make it freed paper talismans and puppets to investigate on their behalf.

So, every building around Sparrow's Restraint was crowded, with some who didn't like to interact with people, perching on the rooftops. At first glance, it seemed like shadows were everywhere, surrounding from near and far.

There was indeed a sense of a pack of demons lurking.

Someone in the clamor asked, "You all were here earlier, did you see the city lord?"

"I didn't see their face."

Someone corrected, "Former city lord."

"It's hard to say whether they're former or not."

"That's right, there's still a chance."

"So, it really is the city lord who has returned."

"With your question, everyone knows, Ning Huaishan and Fang Chuzi have been with the city lord for the longest time. They should be considered close confidants. Even they couldn't open the gates of Sparrow's Restraint before. How could anyone else?"

Someone sarcastically remarked, "Speaking of which, I have to sigh again for those poor souls."

"Who's poor?"

"Those surnamed Ning and Fang."

"Why do you say that?"

"I heard that when the Canglang Northern Territory collapsed, Ning Huaishan and Fang Chu left the city."

"They left. I happened to return to the city that day and caught a glimpse. They didn't bring many people with them. I thought it was just a usual outing, looking for some living beings. Now, thinking back, they might have really gone to the Canglang Northern Territory."

The person who mocked them continued, "So, they're both foolish and pitiful, having truly strayed into demonic practices, yet they still talk about loyalty. But what's the use of loyalty? After all these years, they don't even have the right to enter the door, just seen as mere dogs in the eyes of the city lord."

Ning Huaishan absentmindedly tossed the talisman papers, his gaze fixed on the activity outside the courtyard. Just then, he happened to overhear these remarks through the paper talisman. His hand paused briefly, then he rolled his eyes in disdain.

In truth, when the city lord first faced trouble, he did entertain such thoughts. Anyone returning home amidst chaos only to find themselves locked out would feel disheartened and aggrieved.

It was also during that time that he belatedly realized he had stayed in Sparrow Falls not solely out of fear, but because he had genuinely come to consider it home.

So, he was particularly furious.

He had a temper to begin with, and during that period, he was like a rabid dog, biting whoever crossed his path. Unfortunately, he bit Fang Chu's head and ended up getting severely beaten by Fang Chu.

There was actual bloodshed.

Of course, Fang Chu didn't fare well either. After their fight, they both secluded themselves for quite a while to recuperate.

During their seclusion, Fang Chu told him, "Once we're out of seclusion, try it yourself. Once you try, you'll understand that the barrier at Sparrow Falls keeping us out wasn't set by the city lord; it was set by Sparrow Falls itself."