Chapter 11

Hua Zhaoting and the disciples of the Hua Family remained stranded beyond the courtyard, barred by a swirling tempest of snow and wind.

As Xiao Fuxuan moved to dismantle the barrier, he hesitated at the cautionary words, "Is it wise?"

Yi Wusheng's countenance turned somber, "It would be unwise if he were to hear."

"Does your family's leader face a similar affliction?"

"He mirrors my situation closely, deeply ingrained for a considerable period. Hence, we must avoid startling him."

Casting a glance at Yi Wusheng, Wu Xingxue, with his ethereal semblance of a soul, inquired, "How long is 'a considerable period'?"

Yi Wusheng fell silent, then softly revealed after a moment, "It has been over two decades."

It had been over twenty years since he first sensed that something was amiss.

***

On that particular day, Yi Wusheng, accompanied by his beloved disciple Ayao, was engrossed in refining a fresh batch of medicines in Qingxin Hall.

Within the realm of immortals, the range of elixirs in demand was vast and varied. Yet, each individual typically possessed only a handful of preferences—elixirs that augmented cultivation, prolonged life, mended wounds, saved lives, and regrettably, those that took them. The remaining assortment of elixirs, peculiar and numerous, with names too numerous to recall, were customarily refined and utilized exclusively by each sect, bearing distinctive characteristics.

The Dreamless Pill refined by Yi Wusheng was an exclusive concoction of Peach Blossom Island.

He embarked on the creation of this unique medicine in response to the frequent disturbances occurring outside Yuyang City's Da Beigu. Although the common folk or immortal disciples traversing that area appeared unharmed upon exiting the valley, within a span of three days, peculiar and uncanny incidents would unfurl—

Individuals would inexplicably bear markings akin to puppet imprints on the nape of their necks, accompanied by an incessant sensation of itchiness throughout their bodies, which, despite their efforts, remained untraceable, compelling them to incessantly scratch themselves. Some individuals would scratch themselves into a frenzy, leaving their bodies drenched in blood.

Another alarming development was the occurrence of somnambulism. They would retire for the night, only to dream of insatiable hunger, prompting them to scour their surroundings for sustenance. After an indeterminate period of search, they would chance upon a spread, whereupon they would seat themselves and indulge, savoring the succulence of the food.

Upon abrupt awakening, they would discover that they had indeed held something in their hands, having unwittingly feasted throughout the night. Some would clutch fruits and vegetables, while others would grasp raw fish and meat, and in some instances... they would find themselves clutching at human forms.

This phenomenon closely resembled the effects of demonic possession, prompting the major immortal sects to take swift and decisive action.

People were sent out to carefully investigate and understand the situation. However, caution was of no use; most of those who went fell into the trap, and only a few were lucky enough to escape unharmed.

The Feng family suffered the most severe losses. The Feng family had always been on good terms with Peach Blossom Island, so the head of the Feng family, Feng Juyan, and his elder brother, Feng Fei, personally came to seek medicine for their disciples who had been affected.

Everyone knows that the medical practitioner of Peach Blossom Island, Yi Wusheng, is most skilled in the art of soul-dreaming, and those who were affected in the Great Sorrow Valley were all tormented by cannibalistic dreams.