Chapter 9

Night fell over the Hidden Leaf village;  today was the day that the latest batch of academy students passed the graduation exams. Tomorrow, they would take their photos and their IDs would be made. Most already believed that they were now full fledged genin, waiting to be given missions and sent out to do ninja stuff.

None of them knew that they would be tested a step further by a jonin instructor who would allow them to pass, return to the academy or drop out entirely.

Naruto Uzumaki, the 12 year old blonde with a strange and unknown dojutsu was practising in a secluded and empty training ground. Night had already fallen over the Leaf village and the blonde thought it best to return home, have dinner and sleep.

As he was going to return home, the cloak wearing blonde, with the help of his right eye, could sense that trouble was in the air. The ninja of the Leaf were moving to and fro from rooftop to rooftop, in a state of alert and panic. 'What could this mean?' The blonde wondered and he started to get ever more slightly anxious.

As he walked, he found a very big scroll just ahead of him. He walked forward towards it to check and he felt someone familiar nearby. He turned his head around and saw a very injured Iruka. ''Iruka sensei!'' Naruto exclaimed, rushing towards the chunin. ''What happened? Who did this to you?''

''M-Mizuki did, Naruto.'' Iruka answered.

''M-Mizuki sensei?'' Naruto could not believe it. He always thought the white haired chunin was an ordinary, kind teacher in the academy.

''Yes.'' Iruka confirmed, coughing out a bit of blood. ''Listen to me, Naruto. Mizuki wants to steal that scroll. It's the Forbidden Scroll of Sealing, containing all kinds of forbidden jutsu. Mizuki will use it to empower himself and turn on the Leaf. Naruto, don't let Mizuki get his hands on the scroll.''

''He's lying, Naruto.'' Speaking of the devil, the white haired chunin traitor just arrived, carrying two windmill shuriken on his back. ''Iruka is lying to you. He is the one who wants to use the Forbidden Scroll for himself.''

''Naruto, don't listen to him.'' Iruka cut Mizuki off. ''Don't allow Mizuki to get the scroll, Naruto. He's lying to you.''

By the help of his eye, Naruto could sense their emotions. Iruka was speaking the truth while Mizuki was lying. ''No. You're the liar here, Mizuki. You... you are a traitor to the village!''

''You really wanna know who's lying, Naruto? Iruka's lying to you. Everyone is lying to you.'' Mizuki told Naruto. ''Do you want to know the truth, Naruto? The truth that was decreed by the Hokage not to say? The reason why Iruka and all the villagers despise you?''

''Don't, Mizuki! It's forbidden!'' Iruka shouted. Naruto was contemplating whether to escape with the scroll or use magic to try and stop Mizuki. But this decree, he wished to know what was being hidden from him.

''The nine tailed fox didn't die that night, Naruto. It was sealed, into you! You are the nine tailed fox! You killed Iruka's parents. That's why everyone despises you, looks at you the way they do and treat you like dirt. Everyone is sneaking behind your back, calling you freak and monster. That's why Iruka hates you;  that's why you can never be accepted in our village.''

'I'm... I'm the demon fox?' Naruto at this moment, had an existential crisis. He questioned his identity: was he a simple blonde ninja kid with an unknown eye or a demon fox in a human body? He could not think properly;  he simply stood in stunned silence, questioning himself.

Move... move... MOVE!

The eye surged in pain, bringing him back to reality. ''Naruto, get down!'' Iruka shouted and the blonde could see a windmill shuriken being thrown towards him. Naruto's body however, was not quick enough to react. His body was too weak to act in time. He fell to the ground in sudden fear and closed his left eye. However, the windmill shuriken never hit him;  it hit Iruka instead.