Chapter 17

All the jonin of the Leaf village had gathered in the Hokage Tower to nominate their genin for the chunin exams. ''Now that all of the jonin are present here, tell me, who do you nominate for taking part in the chunin exams?'' Hiruzen Sarutobi, the Third Hokage, asked his jonin.

''I, Kakashi Hatake, nominate Team 7, consisting of Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno and Sasuke Uchiha, for the chunin exams.'' Kakashi was the first to answer.

''As captain of Team 8, I, Kurenai Yuhi, nominate Kiba Inuzuka, Hinata Hyuga and Shino Aburame for the chunin exams.'' Kurenai said after Kakashi.

''I, Asuma Sarutobi, captain of Team 10, nominate Ino Yamanaka, Shikamaru Nara and Choji Akimichi for the chunin exams.'' Asuma went last.

Murmurs and whispers came from members of the T&I Corps. Even Hiruzen Sarutobi was intrigued. This was the first time all rookie genin were ever nominated for the exams.

''Are you sure that it's a good idea?'' asked Kakashi's rival, Might Guy. ''They are all just fresh out of the academy.''

''They're our students, Guy. I'm sure we know what we're doing.'' Kakashi replied to his rival. ''Besides, it'll be good experience for them all.''

''Very well then.'' Hiruzen said and handed out papers to the jonin. ''Take these papers and let your genin sign them. Tomorrow... is the day of the chunin exams.''

(at Team 7's usual meeting place)

Team 7 met at their usual meeting place, the bridge near a training ground and river. All three genin were wondering about the chunin exams and whether or not they would participate in it.

Sakura Haruno, was the most nervous out of all her teammates. Unlike Naruto or Sasuke, she had no elemental ninjutsu to boast of. All she had was the three basic academy jutsu and her unrivalled chakra control. And the genin coming to participate would, undoubtedly, be very powerful. Maybe not on the same level as Haku, Aoi and definetly not Zabuza but out of her league, most likely.

Thanks to his Glamour Sight, Naruto could sense the uncertainty of his pink haired teammate. He felt sorry for her, having to feel so useless and scared in almost every situation. If they were to enter the exams, he and Sasuke might have to protect her.

''Hey team.'' Kakashi Hatake arrived, surprising his genin students.

''K-K-Kakashi sensei... you're actually on time?'' Sakura questioned if this was a genjutsu and tried to dispel it. Kakashi felt hurt;  did his students really have such a low opinion regarding him?

''Well, you see, I got lost on the road of life and thought about getting my priorities straight.'' Kakashi told his students of his corny philosophical ideas. ''Anyways, I'm have nominated you three for the chunin exams.'' Upon hearing that, Naruto and Sasuke were quite happy.

'I can get stronger in these exams. It'll be valuable experience for me and my sharingan.' Thought Sasuke. 'Maybe a few good fire jutsu to copy. But my teammates... no matter what comes, I'll be strong enough to protect them.'

'I knew Gramps would allow us to go.' Naruto thought. 'But, I must be careful not to reveal my magic until I reach the finals. I must reach the finals for that to happen too.'

'Naruto, Sasuke... I'm not strong like you two.' Sakura lamented but shoved those negative thoughts away. 'No. Don't think like that, Sakura Haruno. They believe in you;  you must not drag them down.'

''Is there um... a catch, Kakashi sensei?'' Sasuke asked his teacher.

''No catch, Sasuke. You are allowed to enter if you want to or not.'' Kakashi answered his student.