Chapter three - hide and seek

"He just got in a cab."

Me and the other officers in the room look up at John when he spoke up. John turned to the man in charge, "It's Sherlock. He just drove off in a cab."

"I told you, he does that." A woman spoke up, turning to the man in charge too. "He bloody left again. He doesn't even work with us and here we are because he withheld evidence. He shouldn't be helping us, we're wasting our time!"

"Wasting your time? If it were left to you then you'll be here until March trying to figure this out!" I couldn't help myself. I know that it had been awhile since I've been in contact with Sherlock, but he was still my friend. Out of everyone I had encountered in my life, Sherlock was the most extraordinary. He was brilliant -- I couldn't let them think that he was out there doing nothing, because surely he had an idea. He wouldn't just leave. Plus, I was known to be the mouthy one who didn't know when to shut up. So I didn't surprised myself when I started to go off on her.

"Excuse me?" She began, stopping in her tracks and giving me an irritated glare.

"You heard me." I snapped, "Sherlock knows what he's doing."

"How do you know? I bet you hardly know him!"

"I know him more than you." I retorted, glancing around at everyone in the room, "In fact, balance of probability, I know him better than anyone here. I understand Sherlock can be a pain in the ass, but he's clever. Cleverer than all of you put together." I told them, not thinking before speaking. I looked at the dark-haired woman again. "If you don't like him, fine. But don't you dare try and convince others he isn't good enough because without him you'd all be solving this case a lot slower and you know it."

"I don't mean to sound rude, but who are you?" The man asked, turning to face me as he crossed his arms.

"Ella," I answered, "Old friend of Sherlock's."

"Detective inspector Lestrade." He held his hand out, to which I shook in return. So this is the guy Sherlock liked to pick-pocket.

"I'm calling the phone. It's ringing out." John spoke up, as if he was trying to change the topic of conversation. I released my hand from Lestrades.

"If it's ringing, it's not here." I said, mainly to Lestrade who thought Sherlock had somehow managed to drop the phone. I glanced at John again, "I told you that locator could have been inaccurate."

"I'll try the search again." John mumbled, going back to the laptop. The woman I really disliked returned to confront Lestrade, and I just watched the scene unfold, trying to keep myself calm.

"Does it matter? Does any of it? You know, he's just a lunatic, and he'll always let you down, and you're wasting your time." She divulged, before making eye contact with me in particular. "All our time."

I gritted my teeth, and pondered whether or not I should lash out again. I spent a lot of my youth defending Sherlock, some habits don't die I suppose. I have to give myself a moment to make sure I'm not wearing a huge scowl. But then again, I don't see a reason to why I should hide it.

Lestrade sighed loudly, "Okay, everybody. Done 'ere."

It didn't take long for everyone to pack up their things and leave -- not that there was much to pack up, anyway. I glanced around the flat in disapproval of the mess that the officers had caused during their 'drugs bust'. Or maybe the mess was already conjured up by Sherlock, I couldn't tell. He was never one to clean up his mess unless he was absolutely bored.

Sighing, I turned to John. We we're both alone now, which didn't make me feel as awkward as it should considering we were strangers.

"So..." I began, unsure on what to say. "How're you?"