Chapter thirty eight - lamp posts

I loved the snow. The street looked like an unfinished painting, so much of the canvas was still perfectly white as if it were waiting for the artist's hand to return. The morning light struggled through the murky clouds, statutes peeked out under their new white caps and footsteps and pawprints crisscrossed each other around the labyrinth of paths.

Sherlock walks next to me, but he is unusually quiet. I mean, talking wasn't one of his main key features, but he seems more awkward than usual. "What's wrong with you? You've been distant ever since the other night."

"What other night?"

"Well, you know, when we all got high."

For a moment, memories of that night all came flooding back. It almost brought a smile to my lips. Despite my worries, it ended up being such a funny and interesting night. Everyone there seemed pretty nice and we all laughed at stupid jokes we all made. Sherlock even cracked a few, and although they made no sense, for some reason we found them incredibly laughable and sometimes moving.

Sherlock shrugged effortlessly, "Just thinking."

"About what?" I ask, my cold hands shoved into my warm pockets. He's quiet for a moment until finally, he reaches his hand into his satchel and brings out a big, red apple. He then hands me the apple.

"I got this for you."

"Oh, um..." I'm lost for words, and I raise my brows as I take the apple from him. "Thank you, Sherlock."

"It's okay." He gives me a bashful smile. I return the smile, but I'm more confused than anything. Is he telling me I need to start eating more healthier? He better not pester me about my weight like he does with his brother.

"Uh, what's the occasion?" I then question, my hands red from the cold and probably matching with the apple.

"You once told me that you liked red apples, so I thought I would surprise you with one."

"... That's thoughtful of you." I comment. I then wonder why I was so confused by his random act. This is Sherlock, he does crazy, weird things -- but in a good way. I give him another smile and take a bite of my apple. "Mhm, it's nice!" I tell him, my mouth full with crunched up bits of juicy apple.

He takes in my appearance and furrows his brows, probably a little weirded out. And then the funniest thing happens.

Sherlock Holmes walks into a lamp post.

The scene makes me spit whatever bits of apple I had in my mouth as I burst out into fits of laughter. I am literally guffawing; my torso is rocking, I'm slapping my knees, and tears are forming in my eyes. Sherlock just puts a hand on to his head, and now he's the one who looks confused. He is eyeing up the post in front of him and wondering how it had got there in the first place.

"I-I...I just... I can't!" I say breathlessly as my laughing still continues. He gives me a look.

"Don't laugh!"

"Come on Sherlock! How can I not laugh? You just walked right into that lamp post!"

I've gotten to the point where no sound comes out of my mouth as I laugh, and Sherlock's reaction just makes it funnier. I wipe the tears from my eyes, but for some reason, I still can't stop myself from pointing and howling.

What I don't expect in the ball of snow that collides and smashes against my cheek. I let out a loud gasp, and my eyes meet Sherlock's. "Did you just chuck a snowball at me?!"

"Maybe." He shrugs, a smirk pulling up onto his lips.

"Oh, so that's how it's going to be, huh?" I shove my apple into my pocket and reach down towards the ground, before cupping up a handful and snow and pressing it together to make a ball of ice. He quickly does the same, preparing himself for whatever war was about to begin.

I lob the snowball I had made in his direction, but he ducks and misses it completely. I don't even have time to react before he's right in front of me and trying to squash his snowball on my face. I try my best to push him away, and let out a little shriek. "Sherlock!"

"You started it!" He defended, the ball of ice crumbling into pieces on me. My nose and cheeks go red from the impact, and I turn to give him a surprised look.

"You threw the first snowball!"

"You laughed at me when I walked into that lamp post!"

I couldn't even reply. As soon as he mentioned that again, I was trying my best to hide my smile and laughs but eventually, they were all evident as my chest raised and fell with laughter. "You have to admit that was pretty funny, though."

Sherlock's lips turn up into a broad grin and a low chuckle escapes his lips as he is unable to suppress his emotions anymore. "Maybe that was a little funny." He admits, the volume in his chuckles changing as his laughter builds up until we're both in fits of hysteria again.