Chapter seven - Sherlock vs Deacon

It was a Friday afternoon, and currently I was sitting in the cafeteria eating my turkey salad sandwich since it was lunch time. I looked up at the big clock on the wall, wondering where Sherlock was. He was supposed to meet me here after he was done speaking to his History teacher about some homework.

I let out a quiet sigh and gobbled the rest of my sandwich before taking a sip of my bottled water. Everything was going relatively normal, just like every lunch time. The cliques stuck to themselves whilst the popular kid's teased other pupils as they walked past. Even though no one was directly trying to bother me, I couldn't help my annoyance. I hated being here, surrounded by these idiots. But I think that's fundamentally me. I, Eleanor Parker, hate the world.

However, I suddenly got curious when everyone sat up from their seats and rushed out of the cafeteria, laughter filling the big hall over something going on outside in the corridors. I got up from my seat and abandoned my lunch box, making my way through the crowded boys and girls to see what was going on.

When I managed to finally see the event that got everyone cheering, I noticed Deacon, a boy everyone adored in school for his rebel-like behaviour and 'funny' attitude. He was kicking someone who was laying on the floor, curled up.

"Go on, freak! I dare you, say something to me again!" The boy roared, and I tried to push through a few people to see who had fallen victim to this stupid boys fight. I let out a gasp when I saw who it was.

Sherlock slowly stood up and wiped his bloody lip, glaring at the other with daggers in his eyes.

"It's really hard to concentrate on your threats with the stench of your oral thrush hovering in the air. All the symptoms are there; white coating on your tongue, cracks in the corners of your mouth, not to mention--" Sherlock couldn't utter another word when Deacon bawled up his fists again and threw another punch at Sherlock, sending him back to the floor.

This time I violently made my way through the troublesome teenagers until I finally got inside the circle that surrounded the fight. I reached out and grabbed Deacon's fist, pulling him off Sherlock. But he just cursed and quickly turned around, slapping me hard around the face.

Gasps filled the air, and I just cupped my cheek as I stared back at him in shock. His lips parted, obviously not meaning to do it. "Christ, Ella, I'm so sor--"

"What on earth is going on?!" A teacher yelled, storming into the scene. She looked down to Sherlock who was on the floor, but he was now leaning on his right elbow and staring at me carefully. Deacon just looked scared now that he was caught, and I was still cupping my cheek. "You three, to the head teachers office, now!" She said sternly, glancing down at Sherlock. "Do I need to get any help? Can you walk?"

"I'm fine." He muttered, slowly standing to his feet. She looked over at his bruised and cut features sadly.

"Come to the office, we'll get the first aid box out. As for you lot, go back to the cafeteria and finish your lunch!" She ordered, and the mass of students quickly turned around and hurried back into the dining room.

Me and Sherlock were now sitting outside of the office on some wooden chairs. It was just us, whilst we over-heard the faint conversation between the head teacher, Deacon and his parents in the closed room besides us.

"Are you okay?" Sherlock finally spoke up, not bothering to look at me.

"I'm okay." I confirmed, "You?"

"Okay." He told me. I just sighed and turned to look at him. He had a purple bruise around his left eye and his bottom lip was split open. He held a wet cloth to it, I just hoped he didn't need stitches.

"Why did you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Pick a fight with him."

"I didn't pick a fight with him."

"You didn't get everyone to gather around to let them know about his oral thrush for no reason." I snapped back, crossing my arms. He stayed silent. "Was it because he asked me to come to his birthday party on Saturday?"

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat, "No."

"You know I wasn't going to go. I have no business in being friends with him, especially when he treats you the way he does. I've known you for two years, I'm not just going to move on and make new friends. Plus, he just full on bitch slapped me."

"...I'm sorry," He said, finally turning his head so that he met my eyes. "You wouldn't have gotten hurt if kept my mouth shut."

"Don't worry about it. It wasn't your fault." I replied, shaking my head softly. "Besides, I think if anyone is hurt here it's you. How are you going to explain those bruises to your parents?"

The door to the reception opened up and soon enough Sherlock's parents walked in, along with his older brother, Mycroft. I heard Sherlock exhale heavily next me.

"Great, I'm really looking forward for this."

~

"Ella?" John spoke up, snapping me from my thoughts. I shook my head slightly in a way to remove any trace of thought I had and glanced up at him. He smiled warmly at me, looking down at the navy blue overthrow he was carrying in his hands. "Are you sure you don't want to sleep in my bed?" He offered, and I shook my head.

"It's okay, John." I reassured him.

"Well, I brought you an extra fleece in case you got cold. Do you have enough pillows?"

"Yes, I'm fine." I chuckled, placing my mug of tea back onto the coffee table before taking the extra overthrow from his hands. "Thanks."

"Don't worry about it." He said politely. "Okay, so uh, I'm going to head back to bed now. Remember to turn the TV off when you're done with it. And... yeah. Good night."

"Night," I mumbled, flashing him another smile. He returned it before backing away, making his way back to his bedroom. I set the overthrow over myself for extra warmth and picked my cup of tea back up, facing the TV, watching some stupid documentary about penguins. But a smile managed to reach my lips, because the thought of being here with them made my life in London so much easier than being alone like I had planned.