Chapter four - finalized

We were now outside of the college. The police were scattered everywhere, along with a few of paramedics. I was standing next to John, having a brief conversation about something along the lines of the taxi services these days. I glanced over to Sherlock, who was sitting on the back steps of an ambulance with an orange blanket around his shoulders as he spoke to Lestrade.

"Who do you think shot him if it wasn't Sherlock?" I asked, hands behind my back. John shrugged.

"Dunno'. I expect a man like that had a lot of enemies."

"True." I mumbled, agreeing with him. I learned that the irritating and bitchy woman I greatly disliked was called Sergeant Donovan, or so I was told. She explained to me and John the whole business with the two pills. We both stopped talking as we saw Sherlock approaching us, bundling the orange blanket up and tossing it through an open window of a police car. He ducked under the tape, walking the extra short distance towards us both.

"Um, Sergeant Donovan's just been explaining everything, the two pills. Been a dreadful business, hasn't it? Dreadful." John started with a shake of his head. Sherlock looked at him for a moment.

"Good shot."

"Yes. Yes, must have been, through that window." John responded, trying to sound innocent and failing miserably, may I add. It was then I realised that John must have been the one who shot the killer. I widened my eyes slightly, shocked that it was him. I never expected that when I first met him, but the more you know. We couldn't all be Sherlock Holmes.

"Well, you'd know. Need to get the powder burns out of your fingers. I don't suppose you'd serve time for this, but let's avoid the court case."

John cleared his throat and looked around nervously. I thought it'd be best to act like I didn't care about the matter, that John didn't do a bad thing because he didn't. The man John stopped was a murderer -- a serial killer, according to the others. "Are you okay?" I asked nonchalantly.

"Yes, of course I'm all right."

"Well, you have just killed a man." Sherlock pressed on, earning a small nod from John.

"Yes, I..." John trailed off, realising what he just said. Me and Sherlock looked at him carefully. "That's true... But he wasn't a very nice man."

"No. No, he wasn't really, was he?"

"And frankly a bloody awful cabbie."

That earned a light chortle from both me and Sherlock before we began to turn and walk away from the crime scene. Sherlock continued speaking: "That's true. He was a bad cabbie. Should have seen the route he took us to get here!"

John and I giggled, and I quickly shook my head. "Guys, come on. Stop it! We can't giggle, it's a crime scene!"

Sherlock glanced at me with a warm smile, "And you and I have some catching up to do."

"We do." I nodded in agreement, "But about those two pills Donovan was telling us about..."

"Yes," John cut in, remembering what we were talking about. "You were gonna' take that damned pill, weren't you?"

"What?" I jump in, confused.

"Moments before I stopped the killer, Sherlock was about to take one of the pills."

I arch a brow, sending him a look of disapproval. "That's what was happening before I came into that room!"

"I wasn't going to take it, just biding my time. Knew you'd both turn up."

"No you didn't. It's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever." John stated, a little in disbelief.

"Why would I do that?"