Chapter thirty - Coffee House

I glance up at the small, vintage-looking bakery called the Coffee House. Through the window I can already see all different sorts of cupcakes, the fresh baked cakes, cookies and bread took a hold of my hand and lead me inside.

In the Coffee House, the air is more delicious than any flavour. Somehow, the aroma captures everything good in here: the coffee, the various cakes, the danish pastries. The blend is perfection, but as a mixture of flavours they would be terrible. It's the kind of place I can sit in for hours, the air so perfumed without chemicals.

I order myself a regular tea and take a seat somewhere in the cafe, waiting patiently for my friend to arrive. I'm alone for no longer than ten minutes when I finally see Edward outside; his eyes scan the coffee shop and I wave in recognition at him. He raises his eyebrows in what I hope is a signal of pleasant surprise before making his way inside and ordering himself a coffee before taking a seat opposite me.

"I... wow. It's just so great to see you again." Edward breathes, his voice warm and rich, but I could tell that he felt a little awkward. I couldn't blame him, I felt the same. We were practically strangers. "How have you been?"

"Good." I answer with a nod, "Yeah, I finished up university in Italy. I've only just recently moved back to London, actually."

"Oh really?" He asks, seeming interested in what I had to say as he also simultaneously added sugar into his latte. "What did you study in university?"

"I studied English, science, and history." I answered with a small shrug. "How about you? What did you get up too after I left? Falling apart without me, probably."

"Falling apart without you? Never." He teased, a chuckle escaping his lips. "Honestly, it was hard after you left. It was hard for everyone who knew you. I tried to stay friends with Sherlock, but after what happened he didn't want anything to do with me. I think he blamed me for you leaving too, but I get that. He was really upset when you left."

It was strange to hear what happened after I left but in a good way. I guess I had always wanted to know how everyone had coped, whether they took me leaving hard or just okay. And I knew that I was never going to get what happened from Sherlock, so it was nice hearing it from Edward. "Sorry about that." Is what falls out of my mouth first. "If it were my choice, I would have stayed here. I'm not surprised you and Sherlock grew distant -- you probably needed me there to force you guys to connect."

He let out a light laugh, "Didn't we always need you there?"

"True." I smile smugly at him, taking a sip of my tea. "What have you been up to, anyhow? Come on, fill me in on the details. You wanted to become a lawyer, right?"

"Right. I went to uni and studied psychology and law. I even worked on a few cases, but I'm not working at the moment. I'm taking a year out." He explained, smiling.

"Well, I suppose it's never too late for a gap year."

"Yeah, better late than never." He chuckled, taking a sip of his coffee. As the evening went on, I could feel the awkwardness dying down and our old selves cracking through the surface. We bounced remarks between ourselves like a rubber ball. I wasn't sure if we really got wittier as the evening wore on or if it was just the effect of the caffeine making everything seem so much funnier.

But not only did we laugh, but we listened to one another. I talked to him about things from my writing, to how I don't even have a bed. He told me about how hard it was living by himself without his girlfriend, to how excited he was for his trip to America next summer.

Before we knew it, it was seven in the evening and the barista approached us and explained that the cafe would be shutting soon. We both look at each other with surprised, shocked that we had been chatting for that long before hurrying to drink the remainder of our drinks and exiting the building.

It was nearing the end of September, and the rain falls like it means to wash us away, like it was supposed to keep hammering until we smudge like a Monet masterpiece. I shiver from the cold and pull my black hood over my head."So... I'll see you again?" I begin with a smile, watching the rain drops land and slide down his clear, pale skin. His coat didn't even have a hood. What kind of British person goes outside in Autumn weather without a hood or at least an umbrella?

"Definitely." He answered, unable to stop himself from laughing at the fact that he was already drenched. I let out a laugh too, shaking my head softly at him.

"Idiot." I muttered.

"I heard that."

"Good." I grinned, reaching up on my tip-toes and wrapping him in a hug. "It was nice seeing you again, Eddie. Please don't die from hypothermia."

"I'll try not too." He responded, embracing me back tightly before pulling away. "It was great seeing you, too. Get home safe, yeah? Watch out for them weirdos."

"I am the weirdo."

"I always knew there was something off about you."

I let out a giggle, my cheeks aching slightly from the number of times I had smiled. "I'll see you next time!"

"You too. Bye!" He waved, before walking off into the other direction. I pulled my hood more forward, making sure that the wind wouldn't blow it off as I sauntered home in the soft rain, small pellets of water spitting on my hands as the remainder of the drops quench the scattered puddles decorating the asphalt.

I don't know what it was, but I couldn't help but feel really optimistic. I could feel the positivity flow, recharging my neurons until they rekindle and spark. It felt good to finally feel like things were going good in life; I have been reunited with old and true friends, I've had inspiration for a story and I have already planned most of it down. I have a job, I have a flat. Sure, I hardly have furniture. But that problem isn't enough to make me feel stressed or anxious.

Things were looking up, and it was a good feeling to end the day with.