Chapter twenty - work

I'm not sure what time it is, but the sun shined brightly through the window, bathing the living room in a warm, gold light. Books are scattered everywhere, over tables and on the floor. Sherlock and I are still looking through the books, but I can feel my eyes dropping shut as every second passes. John has already gave up and has fallen asleep at the table. Sherlock runs his fingers through his hair and signs.

"This is taking forever." I grumbled, sitting down on the couch, being careful not to land on any books. "I just need ten minutes..."

"One you close your eyes for more than five you won't want to open them again. Ten minutes will do you no justice."

"Why did I bother to stay up all night?" I mumbled rhetorically, glancing around at the stacks of crates that we still need to get through. Suddenly, an alarm goes off, causing me to look around to see where the source of the sound was coming from. I notice the alarm is going off on John's watch, and he quickly wakes up and rubs his eyes.

"I wasn't asleep." He tells us tiredly, looking out of the window as if to confirm that it really is the morning. He buries his head in his hands. "I start work this morning."

"Shit!" I curse, standing up from the couch. "So do I!"

"That woke you up." I hear Sherlock retort. I give him a weary look, more fed up with his comments instead of being irritated by them. I exhale heavily before making my way towards the door. 

"I'm going to my flat to get ready. Enjoy your lonesome book club."

And with that I left, making my way down the stairs and walking the short distance to my flat. When I unlock my door and walk inside I'm hit with a small draft, and I sigh again. I wish I could just click my fingers and magically get everything decorated. 

I remember my manager telling me that all I had to wear for the dress code was a black apron with the coffee shop logo on, but they would prefer it if I stuck to wearing plain clothes underneath. So I decided to throw on a pair of skinny black jeans and a plain white shirt before quickly putting on my black ankle boots. As for make up, I put on a bit of concealer under my eyes and anywhere else on my face that needed that extra bit of coverage, before putting a lit of light power on. I wanted to look as natural as possible, but also like I hadn't been awake all night. So this worked just nicely. 

Finishing the look with some mascara and a light pinkish-nude lipstick, I threw my dark wavy hair up into a bobble before making my way out of the flat. I was quite anxious to start, knowing I'd probably do something awkward and mess up. But besides that I was actually looking forward to starting my first day of work. 

I kept reminding myself that this was not permanent -- this is just whilst I looked for a better job. I knew doing anything like publishing my works would take a hell of a lot of time, and I needed a side job to pay the bills. 

Finally, I had reached my destination. I stood in front of the coffee shop and I couldn't help but to let my mind wonder. Hopefully the smell of caffeine would wake me up more, and hopefully during my time working here I got paid enough to make a living in London. One can only hope after all.

With a nervous sigh, I pulled open the door and made my way inside.