Chapter eight - It's a machine, John

It had been exactly two weeks since I've first began to share the flat with the boys. Things at first were awkward to say the least, but after a few days I got to know them really well and things were beginning to feel normal. Well, my version of normal is not sleeping on the couch every night and discovering human body parts in weird places in the kitchen, but it was finally settling in that I was living in London and Sherlock and John were becoming great friends.

I was currently in the supermarket with John, paying for a few items at one of the self-service checkouts. I lolled my head to the side, letting out a quiet wince. The sofa didn't help to sooth any aches and pains but John being the gentlemen he is let me stay in his bed for a couple of nights whilst he slept on the couch. But I didn't feel too comfortable with kicking him out of his room for long, so I soon got reunited with the sofa once more.

"Unexpected item in bagging area. Please try again." The automated voice spoke as John scanned an item. John sighed and held the lettuce that was in a plastic bag across the scanner slowly again in attempt to get it to read the barcode. But again, the automated voice said : "Please try again."

John straightened up, staring at the device with exasperation. "D'you think you could keep your voice down?"

"John, it's a machine." I started, trying to get him to remain calm once I realised people in the queue were giving us looks. Finally, John had managed to get everything scanned. He inserted his credit card into the chip-and-PIN machine and began to type in his pin.

"Card not authorised. Please use an alternative method of payment."

"Yes, all right! I've got it!" John snapped again.

"Card not authorised. Please use an alternative method of payment." The machine repeated, causing me and John to shift on our feet, trying to remain calm. I glanced back and noticed the man next in the queue had already picked up his own basket, expecting to get to the scanner soon. John shoved his hand in his pocket.

"I've got nothing." He muttered, looking at me.

"Uh," I reached my hand in my pocket too, looking for some change. I shook my head. "Nothing."

"This is just great." He turned to the machine, complaining. "Why won't this bloody chip-and-PIN machine work!

"John..." I trailed off, trying to stop him from making a scene. "Did you keep your card next to your phone for too long?"

"You know what? Keep it. Keep that." He ignored me, pointing the machine before he walked off angrily, abandoning his shopping. I watched him storm off with surprise, and the man behind us looked shocked too. I stood there awkwardly, before letting out an awkward chuckle.

"Uh, sorry. I'll just... yeah." I stepped forward, taking Johns credit card from the machine and walking off after him, abandoning the shopping too. I rushed out of the store, noticing him just standing there, trying to calm himself down. I approached him.

"You okay?"

"I hate technology." He muttered, taking a deep breath. "Let's just go."

Me and John caught a taxi back, despite my urge to rush back into the store and get some shopping done. However I thought it would be best to go with John, especially since I couldn't waste time running around doing chores this morning. I had some plans for the afternoon.

We made our way up the flat, and once we got there John walked right in whereas I just stood by the entrance to the living room, looking around. I suspected that something had happened, something had changed during our absence. But I can't tell what.

"You took your time. " Sherlock decided to be the first to say something, not looking up from the book he was reading.

"Yeah, we didn't get the shopping." John responded. Sherlock looked indignantly over the top of his book.

"What? Why not?"

"Because I had a row, in the shop, with a chip-and-PIN machine." John let out, tetchily.

"You... you had a row with a machine." Sherlock lowered his book a little, looking at John with his brows raised.

"Sort of. It sat there and I shouted abuse."

"Need me a freak like that." I muttered sarcastically.

"Have you got cash?" John inquired, looking at Sherlock.

Sherlock held back an amused smiled, before he glanced at me. I just shrugged before walking further into the room. "Take my card."

John strolled into the kitchen where Sherlock's wallet is lying on the table. I followed in suite, craving for a cup of tea and a quick snack -- not that we've got much since we left our small shopping behind. "When you get the shopping later can you remember to get some chocolate?" I asked John, knowing he'd be going out to try and get some more shopping done again with Sherlock's card.

"Chocolate, yeah." John mused before sending his flatmate a look. "You could always go yourself instead of leaving it to me and Ella. You've been sitting there all morning. You've not even moved since I left. And what happened about that case you were offered – the Jaria Diamond?"

"Not interested." Sherlock said nonchalantly, using a piece of paper as a bookmark before he shut his book with a loud snap. I put the kettle on and quickly walked near to the doors of the kitchen, crossing my arms and leaning against them so I could engage in the conversation. I notice him kick something underneath his chair, and I arch a brow. He meets my eyes, but doesn't say anything. I give him a look and he just smirks. "I sent them a message."

"I'm sure you did." I mused, looking back down to what he was hiding and back to his eyes. I made a mental note to check what it was later. That's if Sherlock hadn't removed it by then, of course. I heard John exhaled heavily behind me, and when I look over to him I notice he's running a finger along a large, narrow gouge on the table. I sighed softly, turning my head pointedly back to Sherlock. "What did you do?"

Sherlock shook his head innocently, before John muttered something under his breath before finally leaving the room, trotting down the stairs. Once John left I made my way back to the kitchen counter and finished making my tea. Strong with two sugars. I put the milk back into the refrigerated before picking up my mug and heading back into the living room, sitting down on the couch, aka my bed.

"Honestly, we can't leave you alone for five minutes."

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean." I retorted. Granted, I couldn't master the art of observation like Sherlock could. But I knew something went down in here whilst me and John were struggling to pay for our groceries. However, I decided not to press of the subject since it wasn't something of importance. As long as Sherlock didn't blow up the place, everything was fine with me. "I have a job interview today."

"What?" Sherlock asked, my statement suddenly peaking his interest.

"Yeah. At the coffee bean." I said, "It's not great. But at least it's something, I'll take it until something else shows up."

Sherlock nodded his head. "Yeah. Well, I hope it goes well. So... does that mean you'll be moving out soon?"

"It depends when I hear back from them. But if everything goes as planned then yes, I should be moving out soon."

It went silent again, and Sherlock just avoided my gaze as he focused his eyes on the wall behind me. I felt like he wanted to say something, but didn't quite know how to put it in words. So instead he just cleared his throat, "Okay then. You'll only be in the apartment below us anyway." Sherlock started, his eyes meeting mine. "It's not like you're moving all the way to Italy again."

"No, it's not."

"Do you remember that time you went to Spain with my family?" Sherlock asked after another moment of silence. I met his stare once more, wondering what made him bring that subject up. It was a bit random.

"Of course I do. How could I forget?" I responded. We held each others stare for a short moment, but it felt like a long time. It was silent but we were both recalling old memories. Ever since I came back to London I couldn't stop thinking about the past. Sherlock was and I think he will always be my closest friend. In fact I don't think I've ever cared for someone as much as I did with him.

And I know he felt the same way despite him never saying it out loud.