Chapter twenty eight - familiar faces

The strong smell of coffee laced the air inside the warm, modern cafe. I didn't exactly enjoy coming to work every morning, being around individuals who were just as stupid and annoying was as frustrating as it got, and I had to put up with watching Emmerdale with John for an evening.

The front door open and closes as costumers rush in and out, their presences accompanied by a blast of cold wind. Everyone can't help but to let their eyes wonder towards the door briefly, before continuing with their conversations and the cold breeze is forgotten. I finish up making a single coffee and place it on the tray along with a muffin, before picking it up and making my way towards the costumer who ordered it.

"Here you go, a black coffee with a chocolate-chip muffin. Is there anything else I can do for you?" I ask, the routine of the question stuck in my head.

"No, I'm fine. Thanks love." The blonde haired woman responded with a polite smile, before continuing to read the rest of her book. I send her a fake smile before turning on my heels and returning back behind the counter. I glanced down at my watch to check the time, and let out a heavy sigh. Three hours left.

"Ella, we got a regular tea for table six." Another worker, Kara, informs me as she passes me the order on a piece of paper.

"Coming right up." I muttered, grabbing a white mug.

"Where's your smile disappeared to?" She questioned playfully, noticing my bitter mood. I didn't exactly mind working here, it was easy enough. But there were plenty of places I'd rather be right now.

"Gone, along with my will to live."

"Don't be so dramatic." Kara let out a laugh, but I just ignored her comment and continued to make the pot of tea, something I knew I was professional at.

I placed the tea pot, already filled with boiled water and a tea bag, onto a tray along with a mug and a little jug of skimmed milk. After finishing the order I picked up the tray and made my way towards table six, the map of the whole room already glued in my mind. I placed the tray onto the small, square table. "There's your tea, sir. Sugar is on a stand just behind you. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Do you have a pen?"

The man opposite me looked familiar, but I couldn't place where I had seen him before. He's definitely not a regular at the café, but maybe he visited Sherlock once for a case. I met his eyes, "A pen?"

"Yes, so I can write my number on this napkin and give it to you."

I almost let out a laugh, a little taken aback by his boldness, but also a little flattered. "Sorry, I'm not looking for anything... plus, I'm working." I try to tell him. In reality I probably would have just said no and walked away, but I have to remember our policy. Nothing you wear is more important than your smile.

Technically, I could come to work in a hot dog costume and my argument would be at least I'm serving customers with a smile.

"I was thinking more so we could arrange to catch up." He then told me, lips pulling up into a smile. "You're very forgetful these days."

I furrow my brows, a little confused to why he was telling me this – but then it hits me. 

Puberty had surely changed him over the years, but I knew from the start that his soft, dark eyes and sand-coloured hair looked familiar. My features relaxed and a smile tugged on my lips, unable to contain myself.

"Eddie!"