23

"Keep reading," Macallister ordered. He continued to watch us.

The second chapter still left me confused.

The Top Ten had been a small group originally who solved the murders that happened in the streets of North Hill. Their numbers grew as they recruited many to join their cause in keeping peace among the poor. It was not until their number reached one hundred did the priorities of the group change. The top tens attention had been brought to the fact that it was not always the fault of the poor for their violent ways. They were starving and dehydrated. The majority of them were just trying to survive. It was not their fault. It was the higher citizens. They had everything while everyone else scavenged. It was the people of wealth faults.

With a new goal to over throw those who were slowly killing them, the group formed a plan, one with what they were hoping would be a permanent solution. Not only did they need to find a way to bring down their oppressors but they also needed to create a system that benefited all.

"It still doesn't sound like they were purposely trying to hurt anyone," Archer said.

"You are correct," Macallister stood up from his perch on the desk. He was graceful as he lowered himself to the floor. He clasped his hands behind his back. "I think it's time we take a little tour. I only wanted you to know where it had began. Follow me."

It wasn't until we were dressed in grey slacks, a blue shirt with a white collar, and thin long white coats did we join him at a metal door. I pulled at the white coat. They were called lab coats. A little pocket sat on each side. I couldn't picture them holding anything of importance.

"We will be going to the lab," Macallister checked over us to ensure we looked the part. "The workers come and go from there all of the time. We will just have to walk calmly in the entrance with the group."

"Won't we be noticed?" Jericho's eyes were wide. "It's not exactly like we can say we just started randomly."

He shook his head at her. "More than likely no one will even question our presence. In case you haven't noticed, I will inform you, that no one around here really does anything they aren't supposed to. It's well controlled."

"Everyone is too afraid of being discovered to do any wrong," I sighed. 

"I am with Jericho on this one," Archer spoke. "I have a feeling we are pushing our luck."

I wanted to yell at him and tell him he was wrong but I knew he was not. I just wanted to hear him disagree with her. The truth was that I was not so sure Macalister was as confident as he seemed.

"Actually, it's our lucky day because we are just on time for selection day."

"Selection day?" Jericho said with confusion.

"Where they decide on the top one hundred of the year. It's they must important day in the city but hardly anyone except those involved know the day or process."

"So this is what you meant when you told me you have never had a family?" Jericho frowned at Archer. My blood boiled. The way she looked at him with pity irritated me as if no one else in the city had or was going through the same thing.

"None of us have," I pointed out to her.

"Right," she signed. "Must have been awful to come to the forest to see us all happy and together."

"Not awful. It was strange." Archer said. "We still did not have a family. We were just able to socialize more there, which was nice."

"Well, most of you got to socialize with others in a friendly kind of way," Jericho muttered to him as she glanced at me. She knew I could hear her just fine. I had been locked away by Marie only to learn only to find that I was going to be used as a distraction to save her and her son Aarron.

I ignored her taunt and Archer seemed to as well.

"Let's go," Macallister smiled at us as if this was going to be fun. "We have to hurry. There is no way in once the doors close and we have to enter with the correct group."

Out the door and down the stairs we went, one right after the other. Macallister lead the way until we were outside in the cold. I shivered and hugged my arms to myself. We trudged through the snow towards a group in front of us dressed in identical attire. We sped up to catch up with them. They were so focused on moving forward that none of them even noticed the four strangers joining them. Jericho looked stunned at the silence as if she were expecting someone to turn around and tell us to leave. She looked like she was about to speak when Macallister shook his head at her. It would only work as long as we did not draw attention to ourselves.

We turned down several different snow covered roads before the buildings opened wide into a large gate. The metal chain door was wide open as people passed through it. No one was scanned or required to show a form of identification. No one guarded the gate. My best guess was that a computer opened and closed the entrance every time. If you were late you did not make it in. I found it strange that not a single Officer was in sight, not in the streets and not at the gate. They had patrolled the school halls constantly and we had been informed that they were always watching on the outside of the school as well. And, yet, not a single black uniform was anywhere to be seen. No cameras hung up high over our heads to watch our every move.

My eyebrows were drawn together as I went along with the crowd. I pulled nervously at the lab coat, pulling it down over my hands, and shivered.

The building was several stories tall with barely any windows and a large metal door. The sidewalk lead us right to the building. As far as I knew it held all of the scientific research that had been accomplished since the beginning of our society. Those not in that field of work knew nothing about what went on behind the grey walls.

Once we passed through the metal doors without incident we followed Macallister down several hallways. The walls were close together and the space for walking was limited. We had to move single file in order to remain comfortable without bumping our shoulders. Florescent lights lined the ceiling in a perfectly placed distance from each other. Different colored doors ran the length of the walk way on either side of us. Some doors were red, others blue and green, but the one we paused in front of was a darker green. He did not hesitate before turning the handle and walking himself inside. I followed in after Archer hesitantly. Jericho came in after me though we were not the only ones. Ten more people stood in the room with us. A single individual stood at the very front facing towards us. Behind him stood a glass wall that showed a gigantic white room. Silver cylinders that went up to the ceiling in four straight lines were the only large objects present. Beside every cylinder was a cart with a blanket and on the other side was a green and red button.

A stack of touch screens with the selected document already in place sat on a metal table. The group started to grab one for each person, the four of us imitated them. It was a list of numbers but they were not in order. The group of scientists, who understood what the tablet was telling them, filed into through a glass door and down a flight of stairs towards the silver tubes.

"What is this?" I asked Macallister as we began to follow them.

"It's their kill sheet," he said bluntly. "And now you are about to witness first hand as to why this society has become nothing but monstrous."