chapter 7

Meanwhile with Patch and the others...

Shasta took the others through his hometown as it was covered in endless snow.

"It's like a winter wonderland here." Oddball said.

"When's spring, Shasta?" Colette asked.

"It's always cold here," Shasta said. "It can sometimes get warmer though, but snow is more popular around here than any oher part of the world."

"Nice." Patch said.

Shasta was then leading them to grown-up huskies who seemed to be attahced to a sled, much to his own dismay.

"Are these huskies friends of yours?" Colette asked Shasta.

"Um... Well..." Shasta looked and sounded nervous.

"Well, well, well," one of the huskies greeted with a scoff. "If it isn't everybody's favorite 'pupsqueak'?"

"Um... H-Hello, Francois..." Shasta greeted anxiously. "Hello, Felipe, eh, having a nice day today?"

"It was nice until we met you, right, Francois?" the golden husky laughed.

"Why don't you pick on someone your own size?" Rosebud glared at the bigger and older dogs for picking on poor Shasta like that.

"What do we have here, Blondie?" Francois mocked her as well.

"She's not blonde, she's a golden retriever pup just like her brothers." Colette said.

"Just be happy we're not calling you all our lunch." Francois retorted.

"Howdy, folks." A St. Bernard walked over with a human adult male before glaring at the bullying older dogs. "Now you two huskies better not cause any trouble for these youngsters, ya hear?"

"No, sir!" Francois replied innocently. "We were just, how you say, shooting the breeze, after all, they are just little puppies!"

"My Uncle Patch and his girlfriend Colette aren't puppies!" Oddball growled.

The human male then called in a different language.

"Sorry, Squirt, we gotta go!" one of the huskies said as they then left off through the snow as the human made them move through his sled.

"These folks ain't from around these parts, are they?" the St. Bernard asked Shasta.

"You got that right, Bernie," Shasta replied. "These are the Buddies, Oddball, Colette, and Patch. They need your help."

"Yeah, we need help getting back to Fernfield." Patch said.

"Your holiness, do you know the way back?" Buddha added in.

"Fernfield? Whoa! You are far from home," Bernie replied. "That's a plain right away in the nearest airport to Yukta, that's where the finish line is for the Annual Dog Sled Race."

"Come on, Bernie, you can't fight crime wastin' time." a human called sharply for the St. Bernard.

"Your owner is a police officer?" Colette asked.

"Oh, yes, I'm a job dog," Bernie replied. "Sorry, I'm kinda busy right now."

"Don't worry, we've got it covered." Shasta responded with boosted confidence.

"Huh?" Rosebud sounded worried.

"We do?" Colette asked.

"Just trust me, okay?" Shasta looked to the teenage cocker spaniel.

"Well, okay." Colette said.

"Hmm.." Rosebud hummed, looking rather thoughtful.

"Come with me." Shasta took them to another part of the snowy neighborhood.