Part 10

Hannah's POV

Weeks, they had been gone for weeks and not a word from Abigail. Fear ran through me as I ran to the courtyard to see the warriors returning from battle. The number of people returning from the battle were far less than the ones who left to fight. Fighting through the crowd to see who all had returned I looked hard and desperately for Abigail only to find that she and the Pharaoh were amongst the ones missing. Sadness washed through me, in all our missions together I knew that she was strong and able to take down all that opposed her. Kneeling to the ground I could feel the tears fall from my eyes. A pair of strong arms wrapped around me and pulled me from the crowd.

"I know, she's gone and it hurts but we have to pray that she may return, nothing is for certain." Nahkt's voice called to me as he pulled me out of the courtyard.

No, he didn't understand, Abigail wasn't suppose to die! Her job wasn't finished. She still had to help me take down the woman re writing history. This wasn't what was suppose to happen. Looking up I could still see the court yard and I watched as Ka went forward and kneeled before the Queen as he offered up a dagger to her. A dagger that must have belonged to the Pharaoh once, this was perhaps their way of showing that the Pharaoh was dead. This wasn't right, I just knew something was wrong and I was going to get down to the bottom of it.

Abigail's POV

My body still felt so heavy and numb but I could feel someone putting something cold on me. It had an odd smell too, it almost smelled like jasmine or something like that. It wasn't water either, it was like an oily substance. After a few moments, I managed to open my eyes and thank god, I could see again. I was somewhere I didn't know though, apparently, what looked to be like a small hut. Barely turning my head I was surprised to see my head was on the Pharaoh's lap. Talk about awkward.

"She's awoken, your wife has returned from the dead." A female voice said as a darker skinned woman walked up to me. "You put up a brave fight, much like your husband."

My eyes went right back to the Pharaoh with shock in them. When the woman turned around the pharaoh took his index finger and put it over his lips signaling for me to keep silent. It was only then that I noticed his royal clothes as well as mine had been replaced with beggars clothing. That was a story I would want to hear later. Blinking fast I slowly tried to sit up only to be brought back down by the Pharaoh.

"You still need to rest, you fought a fever for many days." The Pharaoh said looking down at me.

"He's right, you need to rest and eat to keep yourself nourished, I will take you both to healers tomorrow to make sure you are healing well." The woman said with a kind smile.

"How long have we been here?" I asked as I looked around.

"Almost a week, your husband had to help you drink broth whenever he could get you to wake up for a moment." The woman said as she stirred something in a pot over a fire.

The pharaoh had to wake me up to help me eat, oh I am changing so much history it's not even funny and completely embarrassing! Going against their wished I did sit up though and leaned back against the same wall as the Pharaoh. Surprising them both as well.

"As I said, she is a strong one. I saw the man that attacked you just for a moment and he hit you hard." She said as she began to serve more broth.

No kidding, I felt like a train had hit me. Rubbing my side, I looked down and lifted my dress just enough to see a giant purple bruise. Wow what an a hole to tackle a woman.

"You need to eat my love." The pharaoh says passing me a bowl with a 'just go along with it' look on his face.

"Yes love." I play along as I take the bowl and drink the contents which I am not even going to describe.

The woman smiled as she looked to the Pharaoh's wound, there was a long slash on his side. That looked horrible but it looked like whatever medicine she was using to heal him was working though. Lucky for him but now we had to get back to the city and get the Pharaoh back to his position.

"I shall be back before night fall, I need to pick up some more herbs for his wound." The woman said then left the hut.

"Before you ask, it was the only story I could think of, no one can know who we really are." The pharaoh explains.

"What do I even call you? You are just the Pharaoh to me. I know very little to nothing about you and now we are pretending to be married, not to mention who dressed me?" I ask very quickly.

"Well I dressed you, I had to since I had to hide our royal clothes. I will tell you whatever you need to know or just make it up. After we heal we will go back to the city and I will reclaim my throne. Until then call me Tak." He says as he leans his head back.

He makes this sound like it's easy, obviously, someone had planned this and wouldn't be too happy if the Pharaoh came back, alive and well. Not to mention now even though I was stuck here with him poor Hannah was on her own and probably thought that I was dead now too. If only there was a way that I could contact Fred, that way he would be able to let her know that I was alive and well. Closing my eyes I try and think of a way but nothing comes to mind.

"Just play along with whatever I say, once we are back I will make sure whoever did this pays with their life." He tells me very calmly.

Nodding I can feel the Pharaoh lean against me a little and I look over at him, his eyes are closed and it looks like he is trying to get a little rest. Looking down to his side I can see the wound a bit clearer now and I feel sorry for him, any movement must be painful for him.

Three days later, we have been seen by a healer, though our injuries were bad they healed well. Tak as I called him now was able to convince the woman who helped us that it was in fact time we head back to the city. We didn't tell her why though, after all this was his plan so I just let him do what he wanted. After all he was the Pharaoh he should know what to do...right?

Slowly we began our journey back to the palace, I didn't know what had happened since our so called death but I knew it wouldn't end well especially with us being gone for a week or more. In that much time there could probably already be a new Pharaoh. Disguising ourselves with fine robes we manage to get into the city fine and the Pharaoh shows me a secret passage he use to take as a child. Apparently though there was a ceremony going on that we didn't know about. Carefully we blended in with the other guests and followed them.

Coming into the throne room we are both surprised to see a wedding about to take place between none other than the Queen and Ka. Yeah, I was right when I said this wouldn't end well. Turning to the Pharaoh I could see the anger and rage in his eyes and I knew he was about to do something he would regret in the end. Going to grab a dagger I quickly took hold of his hand and held it still.

"Tak, you can't look at the guards around us, they think you are dead and now is the time to prove them wrong but no blood should be spilled." I tell him calmly.

"They spilled ours, why not spill theirs." He tells me looking me right in the eyes.

"We don't know that."

"Our Queen now to marry our new Pharaoh-" the priest starts and both Tak and I turn our attention back to them.

"Tell them now, reveal yourself and if any dare to deny you or try to kill you I'll end them." I tell him as look to him with a slight nod.

Pharaoh then took his hood off as well as he dark robes and revealed his royal clothes he had hidden beneath the robes. No one noticed at first but as he began to move through the crowds two guards grabbed him and taking my own robe off to show my royal outfit I wore into battle I used my weapons to stop the guards.

"Why crown a new Pharaoh when the current one stands before you?!" the Pharaoh called out and shocked everyone in the room.