Chapter11

Emergency

** Ethan**

{Sunday after evening service}

I got to have to get out of here quick to meet Curtis and his new lady. He talks about her a lot and seems to like her.  Leaving the church and getting into my car I see the envelope the lady gave me last night at the karaoke club.

Flashback**

I’m watching Journee drive away when I hear. “Was that her, was that  Journee?” I turn to see a red head lady ask. “Yes, it was. She just left.” “Shit! She won and I tried to catch her and give her, her prize money.” “Won?” I asked confused. “Oh. I’m sorry. On some days, we will have a three hour of window time for people to sing and then at the end of that month we have them all come back and compete against each other. But we let the customers give them money.” “Oh. Well I will be seeing her soon. I could take it to her.” “I do not know you or trust you man.” I heard her say. I reach in my wallet and pull out a card and give to her. “You’re a pastor?” “Yes I am.” I say with a smile. “Let her know she can come back. I really hope she does.” “I will let her know. Good night.” I say then turn to head to my car and leave.

** Flashback over** 

I arrive at the restaurant and see Curtis and woman at his side. She looks likes she might be mixed or just light skin dressed very nice, classy. I get this feeling it is going to be a long night inside of me. I say a quick prayer before heading up to them.

“Yo, E. You finally made it.” “Sorry I am late I had to lock up the church.” “It’s all good. This is Heather, Heather this is Ethan.” I extended my hand to her and she shook my hand. “It’s nice to meet you heather.” A smile forms on her face.  “It’s a pleasure for me as well.” “let’s go in and get a table.” Curtis says.

After we have ordered I just feel uncomfortable. Heather keeps looking at me weird while smiling. “Please excuse me I have to go to the restroom.” Curtis says. He walks away leaving me with Heather.

“Ethan, tell me are you single?”  “Yes I am.” “I would like to say you are very sexy. I would like to sex you all over anytime and anyplace.” “Stop you are dating my friend. Curtis is my best friend. He is my brother. How could you even say something like that?” She laughs. “I love being in polygamy relationships.” I look at her crazy. “Why is it fine for a man to be in a polygamy relationship, but the moment a woman wants to do it it’s wrong. I want more than one man. I actually want more than four.”  “Well. You are not going to have that with me. With Curtis I do not know. Does he even know you want this type of relationship?” I’m back Curtis stated. “I have to go. Heather, it was nice meeting you. We will talk tomorrow Curtis.” I said. I heard them say bye’s and good night I went paid for my meal and text Curtis.

E: Call me when you get home or you are alone.

C: I will. What’s wrong.

{next day at fire house}

“E, why did you bolt so fast last night?” “Heather told me something last night. When you came back I knew you two needed to talk.” “She is into having polygamy relationships and wants to have it with me and you. I told her I wanted no part of it and asked her if you knew or even wanted to be a part of it.”  “That’s not what she told.” I see Curtis getting angry by the second. “What did she tell you?” “That you were lightly flirting with her.” Curtis.” “Somebody is lying to me.” He says then storms off.

[Thursday night] 

I have not seen nor heard much from Curtis in the past few days. Leaving out the fire house I see Curtis near my car. “Hey” I say praying he talks to me. “You know I hate being lied to, don’t you?” “Yes, I know. No one likes being lied to.” “I talked to Heather.” I was a long pause before he spoke again. “She lied about everything and then some more E. I am so tired of going through the same stuff just with a different woman.” “I understand and know how you feel that is why I trust God to bring forth my wife to me. Yes, I should be going out dating or doing what have you, but I trust God to send her to me then I will date her, fall in love with her, start a family with her, and date her while we are married. I want no, I need a woman so hidden in God that I have to go through him to get to her.” “Like you know who?” “I know you are not talking Chloe?” “Yeah that who I’m talking about.” Curtis said with a hint of humor in his voice. “I need a favor.” I say to Curtis. “Depends.” “I need you to take something to Journee for me?” “Though you didn’t know who I was talking about.” I gave him a questionable look. “We have to go to the club and you have to give this to her.”

{at club}

I explained everything to Curtis now I am waiting on him three building down and on the opposite side of the road. I an brought out of my thoughts when the phone rang. It’s Curtis. He said he would call so I could hear the conversation. I answered when I heard him calling Journee’s name. “Yes.” She said. “Hey, I’m Curtis. A friend of Ethan’s.  He asked me to come and give this to you.”  “Where is Ethan?” “Oh, Ethan is probally at home.” It was a long silence. “Fine Ethan is a couple of buildings down.” I figured he was close by. I heard them laugh and when I got an incoming call. I answered,

Hello.

Is this mister Harbin?

Yes, it is.

You need to come here quick as you can. It is regarding Tristan.

I’m on my way.

I took off towards the club while calling Curtis.

“Hello.” Curtis said laughing. “We have to get to the hospital now.” “I’m coming to get you.” “Journee I have to go rush Ethan to hospital.” I heard Curtis say before completely hanging up the phone.

We arrived at the hospital. After talking doctor say that Tristan’s body is no longer responding to the medicine and his body is slowly shutting down. I sat by his bed side and prayed to God to heal his body and above all for HIS will to be done even if it means he calls Tristan home. After a few hours, Curtis and I decided to go and get something to eat because we were staying up here all night. I open the door and a figure caught my eye.

“What are you doing here?” “I thought something happen to you. Curtis said he had to rush you here.” I smile. “Yes, he did. It was for Tristan.” “Come in.” I’ll go get us all something to eat.” Curtis said.

“Who is this little boy to you?” “I started a program for youth and he was the first night. Next day got caught in gun violence. His mother came that night asked if he was dead. When they said no. She left. I have everything under my name. Which is crazy because I don’t know how I am going to pay all of this off.” “He’s a stranger to you? Why do you care what happens to him?” “Just because he’s a stranger doesn’t mean I shouldn’t care. He has nobody.” “I know what that is like, not having anybody. He’s one of the lucky ones in this fucked up world.” I watch her reach in her pocketbook. “Here. Pay his bills with this.” “You won this. It’s yours.” “Ethan on a Friday night alone I make over 2500.00 easy if not more. It’s fine.” “Thank you, Journee.” “It’s not a problem. I have to leave. I hope he pulls through.” “Thank you for coming.” “Bye Ethan.”

After she leaves I call to make sure my flight to Florida with her is still a go. I will find out what she is hiding.

Comment:

Vote: