Chapter 24

Distance Makes the Heart Grow

**Ethan**

{3 1/2 weeks later}

I took Cutis advice and I haven’t heard from Journee. The last time I saw her was the following morning. She was asleep and I kissed her a good morning and good-bye for a little bit on her cheek while she was still sleep. I feel like a part of me is missing not seeing her every day. I made sure not to see her when or if she even went to go see Tristan. Not being around Journee also has people asking me when I am going to settle down.

Clocking out of work I see Curtis talking to a new lady. “Hey, yo, E. What do you have planned for today?” “Nothing why what’s sup?” Curtis walks over to me. “Come to dinner with Rose and I. She has a friend and you want be a third wheel and neither will she. She doesn’t have to date just come to dinner.” “Sure, I have nothing to do tonight.” “Thanks man. You good? You don’t seem like yourself lately.” “Yes, I’m fine.” “Journee.” I laugh a little. “Not talking to her is turning my world upside down. Actually, the day I meet her she turned my life upside down.” “You missing her a lot.” “Yeah but I know I need to do this not just for me but her also.” “Maybe this woman will be able to keep your mind off Journee at least for tonight.” “Yeah maybe I’ll see you tonight. Text me the information.” After saying bye, I left and went home.

Walking in my house my phone staring ringing I answer on the fourth ring.

“Hello”

“Hey mom.”

“I have plans tonight. Another time we can go to dinner.”

“Ok mom. I’ll call later. Bye.”

I got a feeling she wanted me to go to dinner with them and invite Chloe

I got the text from Curtis and headed to the restaurant. When I got, their I said a quick prayer then text Curtis. My phone pinged showing me that Curtis text me back telling me they were inside. I go inside and find them.

“Hey man, we just got here. Waiting on Rose’s friend.” We were laughing and talking when Curtis’s face became stone. “What’s wrong?” I asked full of concern. “I hope you guys wasn’t waiting to long for me.” I heard in a voice I have known. I turned hoping I was wrong, but I wasn’t. “Chloe what are you doing here?” “Rose asked me to come. I had no idea that she is dating Curtis and you would be my date for tonight.” “It’s fine let’s just eat.”

After finishing our dinner, we all laughed and talked and decided to get dessert. “How about we all go to Rock N’ Nights tomorrow night?” Rose asked. My body instantly reacted. Curtis looked at me weird. “Yeah let’s do it.” Chloe chimed in. “I’m game.” Curtis said. It was up to me and I couldn’t say no. “Ok I’m in.” We finished eating our dessert then Rose and Curtis left. I walked Chloe to her car.

“Ethan, you can come to my place maybe we can talk some more or even watch some movies.” “I’m sorry I can’t. I have to get up early for work and I have a busy day ahead of me. Good night Chloe.” I say. I watched her get in her car then pull off.

When I got home I studied the bible and prayed then went to sleep.

{Next day}

“Ethan, man I’m sorry I had no clue that Rose’s friend is Chloe. I would never put you in that situation.” “It’s fine. I could tell by your face you didn’t know. It’s just going to the karaoke club tonight. Its where I heard Journee sing for the first time.” “Do you want to back out? It’s fine if you do.” “No, I’m going with y’all. I’m just going to meet up with y’all there.”