Chapter 22

Finest Betrayal

** Ethan**

After a long work day and watching a fellow church burn I am exhausted. I called my dad and told him I was coming over for dinner and I asked Chloe if I could see her tonight. What happen in the meeting at church is playing in my head like a movie on repeat. I have never felt so betrayed by those who claim to care but then again look at what happen with Jesus. I am not Jesus but He was betrayed in the worse way to. While the mind war rages, I get out the shower and walk into my bedroom sitting in a chair I just pray to God the only help I know.

[at dinner]

“Mom dinner smells great.” “Thank you, baby. How is Rev. Ollis[IS1]  holding up since the church burned down?” “I talked with him after we put out the fire he is hurt but knows God will provide and they are going to rebuild. Until the new church gets built they will we at worshipping with us at Faith.” “That’s wonderful. Dinner is done. Let’s eat.” Sitting down I looked between both of my parents. After saying the blessing I just asked. “Who said something to the church about Journee and I?” My mom dropped her fork and my dad just looked at me. “Son what are you talking about?” My dad spoke. “I had a meeting at the church and they said someone had told them I’m dating a prostitute.” “Honey when did this happen?” “It doesn’t matter I just want to know who said something. I could be removed as pastor from the church and no one seems to care. Only that they want Chloe and I together. I do not know who God has for me but I know it is not Chloe and if by chance it is I will be a man an apologize and be with her.” “Son, you being with Chloe is good for all of us.” “All of us. What about God? What about me?” I watched them look at me then each other. “I have to go. I will talk to y’all later.” I got up and walked out the house.

On my drive to meet Chloe at Cold Stone Creamery I prayed to God that my words didn’t hurt my parents and they understand what I am saying and mean.  I pulled up. I see Chloe’s car and I prepare myself for this conversation.

I go to the table where Chloe is sitting. “Hey Ethan how are you doing? Do you want ice cream or milkshake?” “No, thank you. This want take long.” “What’s wrong Ethan?” “You and your parents need to know I am not going to be with you unless God tells me otherwise. “We are perfect together Ethan and not to mention that everybody is waiting for us to be together.” “Everybody like who?” “Our parents, the church, the community everybody.” She says with a shrug. “What about God? What about me.” “Ethan I know you want to be with me. That girl is using you.” “Using me for what? I don’t have anything?” “So, you say.” I heard the doorbell chime but I didn’t bother to look I was still talking to Chloe. “Chloe, you claim she is using me. Tell me for what and I will never talk to her again.” She looked like she was trying to think of something. I got up to leave when Chloe got this look on her face and pulled me into a kiss. I pulled away from her and followed her eyes to be meet with eyes I know all too well.  

**Journee**

I watched as Ethan kissed her then his eyes found mine. I just placed my order not looking his way again. After getting my order I left.

After finishing my ice cream and taking a long shower I was laying on my couch relaxing while TV binging. I was interrupted by a knock at my door. Walking to the door I heard my phone go off. I open the door quick the slammed it even quicker. I heard knocking again but I ignored it while looking at the text that came through my phone. “Journee, you have neighbors.” I rolled my eyes and laid back down on the couch. “Do you remember the last time Journee?” I sat and rushed over to the door barley opening it.

“You’re not going to let me in?” I stood their quietly just looking at him. “Please Journee.” Still remained silent and looked at him. “We need to talk.” Moments later Ethan pushed the door back picked me up and moved me himself then closed the door behind him.

“Breaking and entering I see.” “Stop it. No one is breaking in.” “Oh, really what the hell do you call what you just fucking did?” “You had the door open.” I rolled my eyes and went and laid back down on the couch. “As I said before, we need to talk.” “What. Talk.” “Please drop the attitude Journee.” “You know I never knew pastors were players.” “I watched the storm in his eyes rage hard and I don’t care. “I’m not a player and never will be.” “Could have fooled me.” Ethan came lifted my feet sat down and put my feet in his lap. 

“Journee, I had a meeting at my church. Someone told them I am dating a prostitute, there is no doubt that they are talking about you. I went to my parents and talked to them then Chloe. I guess she saw you before I did and she kissed me to make you mad or something.” I laugh. “Why would I be mad?” “I don’t know why are you mad?” “I’m not Ethan.” “You sure cause you acting like you mad, hurt even.” “I’m just fantastic. I do have a question for you. Why are you always with her? Then to kiss her.” I though you weren’t mad.” Before I could continue my phone rung.

“Hello.”

“Yes, this is Rev. Harbin.”

“I’m on my way.”

“I have to go to the hospital.” Before I could finish Journee jerked up fast. “Is it Tristan?”   “No, it’s not. Its Mrs. Stumps an elderly later at my church. She has been sick for a while now.” “Oh. I hope she is ok.” “I do also. Journee come to church with me again.” “Hell no.” “Journee” “I am not going through that bullshit again Ethan.” “What happen.” “Can we talk about this later?” “Yeah we can.” “I am going to see Tristan Monday I got a too much going on this weekend especially at work.” “Wait. What are you doing this weekend?” Ethan asked with concern with a hint of sadness.

“The club is having a ‘Red Light Special’ and only five girls are dancing and I am one of them.” “What is a red light special?” “We dance to only to sexual songs. Why do you want to come see maybe get a dance?” “Journee, you know I can’t step into that club, well I can’t again.” I just laugh. “I have to go. Maybe Sunday I can come over.” “Maybe” “Ethan did you like it?” He open door then turned to face me. “Like what.” “Kissing her.” A smile came upon his face then he kissed me on my cheek. “I like kissing you more. Good night Journee.” “Good night Ethan.” I say then close the door behind him. 

Comment:

Vote: