Chapter 46

Cradle Will Fall

** Journee **

“I came here to talk to my son.” “He isn’t here. How about you come back in never time.” I said with a smile. “Fair enough. Since I am here can I speak with you?” I took a deep breath. “It's fine I guess.” I open the door wider.

I took a seat in front then meet the all too familiar ocean eyes except these were a little cold yet held pain. “Mr. Harbin what can I do for you.” I want my son back.” “Well, I don’t have him” “In a way you do.” “You want Ethan to do what you want to make you happy but what about his happiness or does that not even matter.” “My son is my number one responsibility.” “But you don’t want to see him happy, especially with me right.”

“He should be with Chloe.” “May I ask you why.” “Before Ethan said he would marry Chloe. Even back when they were together.” I quickly cut him off. “Ethan dated Chloe.” “I see he kept that closed from you. I bet you are wondering what else is he hiding?” “No. I think it he didn’t want me to know about a bad awful time in his life.” “You think that is what it is but I know different. She loves Ethan and until Ethan loved Chloe. I know he still does. Do you even love my son? Don’t answer you would just easily say yes thinking I will accept that. I won’t though. You are just after the family’s money.”

“I was sitting in hell for the longest time. Then one day your son Ethan came sat beside me. Saw all my pain, flaws, and scars he saw me at my lowest and worst. I tried to push him away because I wanted to stay there but he didn’t move. Do you know what he did?” I watched Mr. Harbin shake his head in a “NO” motion. While tears escaped my eyes. “He just held me and when I was on my last breath ready to give in to everything he hugged me and my pain was able to bear a little easier. The moment I fell in love with Ethan was the moment he saw me for who I am. He wasn’t like other men using me breaking me down more. He caught my tears and listened to my pain. My brokenness was beauty to him. That is why I’m in love with Ethan.”

“You really do love Ethan.” “I don’t give a fuck about your family’s money but that’s all you, your wife, and Chloe seems to think about. Ethan means more to me than money. Looking at you and your wife relationship I don’t guess you would know. Would you?” I watched his eyes darken and get colder.

“You know nothing. My wife is a good woman.” “Who wants her son to do what she wants no matter how much it hurts him. When I found out I was pregnant I was terrified. I was already alone but when I found out I was having a little boy I vowed I would do everything to make and keep him happy and when I lost Oliver that broke all parts of me but I knew if he was here I would do anything to see him happy.” I got up and walked over to the picture of Oliver and got it. I walked over to Mr. Harbin.

“This is my son. I would give anything to see him just one more time and your son is here and he cut all ties with yall because you don’t want to see him happy.” “I want my son happy but” “But you don’t think I can or will make him happy. Guess what I don’t either. I don’t even feel I'm good enough for him but you know what.” “What” “I’m not worried about myself. Ethan is taking hell from everybody about being with me but he does it with a smile. He cut off his parents for me. So, what I am going to do is love him hard. My mission in life will be to see him happy, his smile.”

“What about kids. You plan to have them to keep him chained to you.” “NO. we are not having kids.” “You are aware that Ethan wants kids right.” “I know but we are not having kids.” I watched him stand up and walk towards the door. He turned and looked at me.

“You have been ranting and raving that we are selfish and we don’t want to see Ethan happy but look who is no better than we are. You are far more selfish than us and talk about keeping Ethan happy how when the one thing he wants you are too selfish to give him.”

Before I could speak he was out the door. I sat thinking about what Mr. Harbin said until the doorbell brought me out of my thoughts. I went to open the door. “You ok. I got your text. ‘Come over quick. Don’t tell Ethan.’ I didn’t tell him.” Come in.

I followed Curtis as he went and sat down. “Was someone just here?” “Yeah, Ethan’s dad.” “I thought that was him. Was I supposed to come and get him.” “No, I actually thought you were him. He wants his son and he was doing the same thing that Ethan does to me.” “And what's that?” “Get on my nerves.” Curtis gave me a look. “Oh, please you know Ethan gets on my nerves at times.” We both laughed.

“What was the emergency. I got to get back to work.” “I know you are going to stand up for Ethan at the wedding but I don’t have anybody or any family.” “Journee, I can’t stand up for the both of you.” I watch as he laughs. “No silly I want to know.” I stopped took a deep breath. “You know what it's ok. Don’t worry.” “Well, I am now talking.”

“I only have you. I looked at Curtis with tears in my eyes. I just want this day to be something amazing for Ethan and I and I were jus wondering could you walk me down the aisle.” “I would be honored to and it will be my pleasure.” I hugged Curtis. “Thank you. Looks like in five months you will give me away.” “there isn’t another person who I could give away to my best friend. He loves you.” I just hugged Curtis.

Comment:

Vote: