Chapter Thirty-Six: Everything.

Dedicated to _Mylifeisfiction_ for the cute drawing at the top, thank you so much💖💖

Chapter Thirty-Six: "Everything."

I'M NOT EVEN SURE how long we've been driving but I needed to stretch my legs fast. All I know is that the sun wasn't even on the verge of coming up yet. It was still dark and I was too lazy to check the time on my phone. It was freezing enough and I although the heater was on in the car, I kept my hands shoved in the pockets of my jacket.

"Why the hell are we doing this?" I grumbled, my eyes ahead of us as Sam drove along the road.

The entire drive had been quiet and tense, the complete opposite of how I usually felt whenever I was around Sam. I looked down at Soccer on my lap, sound asleep and wishing that I felt the need to sleep. Sam knocking on my dorm room rid me of sleepiness.

"We haven't spoken properly in weeks. We only got to see each other once in the past weeks and when we did it was off. We're not like we used to be."

Leaning my head against the window, I glance at him out of the corner of my eyes. He looked so tired but determined to get to his old town. He looked determined for us to work things out.

I've been feeling like an emotional wreck and seeing Sam focus like this, not even touching me but his presence alerting me that he wanted this to work made tears prick from my eyes.

My vision blurred as I looked outside, noticing how the scenery changed so many times over the hours. I took a bite out of the Pop-Tart wishing I had a toaster but now I didn't care, taking a bite out of it anyway.

"I want us to be..."

"Be together again?" I asked, my voice a little hoarse because I was speaking normally for the first time in what may be hours. "To be Macy and Sam?" 

"Yeah," Sam agreed. "To be us."

So his choice was clear.

"Why Bath?" I asked him a couple minutes after peaceful silence.

Sam slowed at a stop light, looking at me with tired eyes. "I just wanted us to get away. I know you're supposed to have work today and-"

"I know Zach can take my shift for me. Don't worry about it."

"I'm sorry."

"It's alright."

"You didn't have any test today, did you?"

"Not that I know of. Although, I'm certain that I have practice one day this weekend."

"Same."

"One day of missing university isn't going to kill you, is it?"

"No. The TA can just send me the things. But missing soccer practice is definitely going kill me."

"I'll explain it to your coach."

I stared at Sam. "What are you going to tell him? That you pulled your girlfriend out of her room and took her on a road trip to your hometown because we've been having issues?"

"I didn't pull you out of your room," He rolled his eyes. "You know lying can work too, right?"

I licked my lips, sighing. "Just continue explaining why we're going to Bath."

Sam took a deep breath, starting to drive again when the light turned green. "I thought that we should get a weekend away from everyone. No Matteo, No Alexis, no friends from home or from here, not media not even football. Just us. Alone time. I want to tell you when we get there."