Chapter Forty-Four: The House.

Dedicated to  for the cover at the top. Thank you💛

Chapter Forty-Four: "The House."

"I'M GOING TO be honest with you but I thought you would be getting the castle." I admitted to Sam.

It took a moment for him to answer. I didn't miss the way his eyes glanced at every part of the road, as if he needed to see everything in front of the empty street. But it was more than that. He didn't want to talk. He rarely did.

"Remember, that was inherited to my dad."

I nodded, glad that he had actually answered. Sam barely spoke for the past couple of days since the funeral. He had managed to go to classes, soccer exhibitions and they had just finished their last game yesterday. But even at his game, I noticed and Derek informed me that he didn't talk the entire time. And that sucked because soccer was a sport that made him happy. Sure he would be focused but he would be excited and chatty especially after a win like theirs. But after their win, he still didn't speak.

But today we were on our way to the property Charles had left for Sam in his will. I didn't ask Sam how he felt about it. When he found out, he was quiet, clearly thinking many things. It wasn't just the property that Charles had left for him, it was the money as well. He had given Sam the biggest percentage and this left some members of the family, particularly outside of the Cahill family I had known, irritated.

Greg was right. The second the will was mentioned and people got what they wanted, they left the castle. Some left Sam glares when he had left his room to speak to his father and mother about what to do, trying to take their advice.

I knew Vince and Sam talked about it but I didn't bring it up. So when Sam had told me that after classes today he was going to check it out, I was shocked when he asked if I would come along with him. I was shocked that he left the house to do anything these past days, especially going to classes and preparing for exams that was arising soon. And fast.

"Um...we're meeting your dad there?" I asked, removing my eyes from the multiple condensed looking houses of one neighborhood in Nottingham to look at Sam.  

"Yeah. He wanted to, um, tell me something. Apparently he knows the house and-and..." Sam trailed off and before I knew it, he pulled over to the side of the road without any warning. He slowed down to a stop by some nature reserve and I heard the honking of the car that had been behind us before it drove off.

"What-What are you-"

Sam heaved a long sigh, bury his face in his hands. "Hazel?"

"Yeah?" I asked quietly.

"I don't know I want to do with this house," He admitted. "I don't even know what to do with the money. There's-There's just so much of it being given to me and that's coming from me. I'm a kid that grew up rich and I'm saying that the money given to me is-it's a lot. It's too fucking much."

"Are you really surprised that you got this?" I had to inquire.

"In a way yeah," He said, leaning back, his eyes on the steering wheel as the sound of a car passing by filled our ears. "I didn't expect it. Everyone expected something. I expected something but not this. I-I remember him joking one day. I came home and I was complaining of the homework I had gotten and Beth told me that I was acting like," Sam paused and I heard a chuckle leave his mouth. "Like a baby and he said that one day he'll buy me an island where I wouldn't feel this stressed again."

"And in a way he got you an island."

"But plot twist: I'm still stressing out." He confessed.

I reached over to caress the top of his head. "You'll overcome it. You can overcome anything."