Chapter Thriteen

After one final day in Qaqortoq, Grant and I got on a boat bound for Narsaq. To tell you the truth, I was kind of sad to be leaving. The whole reason we'd come was to check out talk of an orb Narsaq, but that meant I'd have to be alert and on guard. It was fun to just hang out with Grant for the past few days, and I wasn't looking forward to getting back to my job.

On the bright side, we were still supposed to be cheesy tourists, so hopefully we'd still get to have some fun as a part of our cover.

After disembarking the boat (and taking lots of embarrassing pictures) we strolled through town to our hotel, trying to take in everything around us.

As we walked, I realized the brilliance of our cover. As tourists, we were supposed to be taking in all the sights and sounds, which gave us perfect cover for canvassing the whole area. I had to hand it to Grant, sometimes he really knew what he was doing.

Finally, we arrived at our new hotel and checked in to our new room. Not surprisingly, it looked similar to the old one, still with only the one bed. I don't know what I expected.

"You notice anything on the way in?" asked Grant, sitting at the small kitchen counter. I thought back to our walk through town.

"The boat captain was chatting with some people on the dock, and we definitely came up. It sounded like he was describing who he'd brought, and he described us as our covers, a cutesy tourist couple.

"One we were in town we didn't get many looks, except from the people in the antique store. They all watched us walk past, but they were trying to hide their stares.

"Two men at a cafe just outside the hotel stopped their conversation when we got too close, and then one of the other guests in the hotel gave us a longer look then most."

I had closed my eyes to recount what I'd seen, and when I opened them I was happy to find Grant looking impressed.

"Not bad Slater," he said. It was a good compliment from him. "But, you were so focused on the captain at the docks, that you missed the other sailor who was keeping a close eye on us."

"Well, that's why we work in pairs, right?" I asked, "To look out for each other's blindspots?"

Ward rolled his eyes. "Most Specialists do not work in pairs."

"Well that's dumb." Grant looked incredulously at me, but I just stared right back. Eventually he just rolled his eyes again and moved into a different room.

"C'mon," he said, "We have to get ready for Kayla and Derek's first day in town. I want to check out that antique shop."

****************

"What a gorgeous little town," I gushed, hanging off Grant's arm as we strolled down the street. Obviously, I was in character.

"It was the perfect choice for our honeymoon," said Grant, giving me a dopey smile. Also obviously in character.

"Oh, stop blowing your own horn," I said, punching him playfully, "I already agreed that you picked a good spot."

"Alright, alright," he said, putting his hands up in mock surrender, "I'm just saying."

We strolled down the street a little further, smiling and hugging all the way.

"Ooh, honey, let's go in there!" I said excitedly, pointing out the antique shop, "Maybe we can find something cute to bring home to our new house!"

"Let's go," said Ward, smiling and throwing his arm around me as we wandered through the door.

When we walked in we saw two people having an intranet conversation at the register, but they weren't speaking English and they stopped talking almost immediately after we came in.