Chapter Thirty-Six

A/N: Sorry about the last two cliffhangers, I just haven't had a good spot to cut these chapters and I try to keep them from getting too long

****************

Grant and I walked into the clearing after confirming the tire tracks didn't match and I headed straight up the temple steps, saying a quick prayer that Grant would be okay. I knew he could take care of himself, but still, I felt better when I was there to watch his back.

"Hey Coulson, we might have a bit of a problem," I said, joining the rest of the team in the temple. I stopped in my tracks though when I saw the little drones hovering around. I turned to FitzSimmons. "You finished the dwarves! You've been working on them for so long! They're so cool!"

FitzSimmons responded at the same time with different words, which was very normal for them.

"Thank you! Yes, we're quite glad to get to use them ourselves in the field."

"Yeah, we worked quickly once we heard we were going into the field so that we could use them ourselves."

I smiled at them both, but then Coulson reminded me why I had come in the first place.

"What's the problem?" he asked.

"The tire tracks didn't match the professor's, so we're not alone here. I don't know if it's going to present a problem, but Grant and May are dealing with anything they could find in the clearing."

Before I could say anything else, Phil's walkie talkie came to life.

"Sir?" asked a voice, definitely Grant's.

"Go," ordered Phil.

"We have a situation."

I glanced at Phil. "Whatever it is, if Grant and May couldn't handle it..."

"Lots of rebels in this area," Skye chimed in, looking towards the exit.

Coulson shook his head. "Not enough gunfire. Keep working, and Samantha, stay with them. You're the last line of defense."

"Great."

"I'm on my way," Coulson replied into the radio, heading back out to Grant and May.

"What do you think's going on out there?" asked Simmons.

"I don't know, but you heard Coulson. Keep working." I moved to the side of the entrance, resting my hand on my gun. I didn't want to scare the rest of the team, but I didn't want to be caught unprepared either.

I heard FitzSimmons and Skye talking, but I was too focused to hear much of what they were saying. There hadn't been any gunshots yet, so I was hoping Phil had managed to calm things down, but I wasn't holding out much hope.

I heard footsteps coming down the tunnel and I swung around the corner, ready to face whoever it was. To my relief, it was Grant.

"Geeze Slater," he said, leaning back, "What were you doing?"

"Getting the jump on a potential enemy. You're lucky I pulled my punch."

"I don't remember you being this jumpy."

"Hey, there's a reason I've survived 176 things that should've killed me."

Grant shook his head, then pushed past me into the cavern.

"We've got company," he announced, "National police."

"What?" asked Simmons.

"Why are they here?" asked Fitz, looking distressed.