Chapter Thrity-One

I stayed in my room for the next week. I moved back into my assigned dorm, since I didn't think I could stand being in the room Grant and I shared, and I pretty much didn't leave my bed.

Grant had gotten an emergency phone and sent me the number, and I had done the same, and I so badly wanted to call him and talk to him, but I was worried that would hurt more. Besides, it might also blow his cover.

Every so often, May swung by to check on me, but she had stopped being the funny, friendly person she used to be. I wanted to help her get past whatever happened in Bahrain, but I was in no shape to do that right now.

At the end of the week, May came in and made me leave my room. Her new no-nonsense attitude was honestly a little scary.

"Get up. Now," she ordered.

"May, I'm really not up for this."

"You haven't been up for anything lately. That changes now."

I sighed and got up, following her from the room. I knew if I didn't she'd drag me out.

"Where are we going?" I asked, shuffling along behind May. We passed a bunch of agents and I knew I looked like crap, but I didn't care.

"To snap you out of this."

That wasn't really a good answer, but I didn't bother to ask for a better one.

Eventually, May went into the gym. I was momentarily distracted from my funk.

"May, since Bahrain you've only trained alone."

"I know. But focusing on your training will help keep you sane. Now let's go."

I walked onto the mat in front of May, suddenly realizing I was waaaaaaay out of shape. Hopefully she was too, or else this would be a quick match.

I made it thirty seconds.

May shook her head. "Again."

"I don't remember you being this much of a drill sergeant," I muttered, dragging myself up.

May didn't say anything, just came at me again.

We kept at it all day. Slowly but surely, I was getting better, holding my own against May longer each time. I was still far from where I had been, but I was getting better. Physically and mentally.

"Go eat," said May finally, "We'll start again tomorrow. Be here by six."

She walked out without another word.

I took a deep breath, then headed to the cafeteria.

When I got there, I didn't look around, just filled my tray and sat at a table in the back where I hoped no one would bother me.

That was my routine for the next two weeks. May and I trained every day, all day, only taking breaks for meals. I ate quietly, alone, and then headed back to train with May. I know it sounds crazy, but I liked it. It was nice not to have to speak with anyone or think about Grant and Phil. All I had to focus on was not getting thrashed by May.

"Good," said May as my back hit the mat for the third time that session.

"You just flipped me. How was that good?" I asked, groaning as I stood.

"Because it took me longer than it normally does."

"Good to know I suck less now," I said, giving May a smile. I was feeling steadily better because of her, and I was hoping I could finally help her with Bahrain, too.