Chapter Forty-Six

A/N: Hey guys! Back to the story 😄 The team is still juggling both Skye and Samantha, who are both dying, and they're administering the GH-325 and all that. Skye and Samantha are in adjacent pods and the team is making it work. I felt the need to mention this, since Samantha's comatose and Grant's pretty much only focused on her.

****************

I woke up feeling exhausted. My head hurt, all the muscles in my body were sore, and I had to force my eyes open.

On the bright side, I woke up.

When I was drifting off in Quinn's basement, I was pretty sure that wasn't going to happen. It had felt like the end. It was terrifying, and I never wanted to experience it again.

When I finally managed to open my eyes, I could see the ceiling of one of the SHIELD pods, and hear the beeping of a heart monitor (I assumed it was mine). I managed to look to my right and I saw Grant, dozing in a chair next to my bed.

I smiled. It was nice waking up to Grant, especially when waking up from a near-death coma. I wondered how long he'd been sitting there.

I wasn't going to wake him up, but the idiot snored and apparently scared himself awake. It was adorable.

"Samantha!" he shouted once he noticed I was awake.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" Mean, I know, but I wanted to mess with him. I'd heard of people coming out of a coma with amnesia.

I immediately felt guilty when I saw his face fall. He looked heartbroken.

"I'm kidding! I'm kidding, I'm sorry, I'm kidding! I could never forget you Grant."

His whole body relaxed.

"That is not funny Slater," he said, leaning forward to give me a gentle hug. I leaned towards him, burying my face in his shoulder. "I'm glad you're okay."

"I'm glad, too," I said, smiling at him as he pulled back.

"So how many is this?" he sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"What?" I asked, totally confused.

"How many near-death experiences?"

"This doesn't count!"

"What?" Now it was Grant's turn to be totally confused. "How can you say this doesn't count? This is the closest you've ever come."

"Well yeah, but it only counts if we almost die together. Our tally is 179, but we can't count it if only one of us almost dies."

Grant shook his head, but he was smiling.

"That is the most idiotic system..."

"Well, it wouldn't be a problem if the two of us just stopped almost-dying."

"I wish it was that easy." He stopped moving and stared at me. "You had me so worried. I thought... I thought I was going to lose you."

I reached out and grabbed his hand. "You will never, never lose me. You couldn't even if you tried."

Grant gave me a small smile and squeezed my hand. Then, he moved to stand.

"I better go get Simmons. She's gonna be happy to hear that you're awake."

"Sounds good." Grant started heading for the door, but I stopped him before he could leave. "Wait, how's Skye? It sounded like she got shot, too. I was trying to get to her before you found me."

"She's okay too. I haven't heard if she's awake or not yet, but she's alive."

"Good. As soon as I can stand again, I'm visiting her."